Chapter 11: The Balcony Scene

"You're going to explode," Mike laughs as I dance into the meeting space at arrivals at San Diego International Airport. Flight MRY619, providing it's running on time, should have just landed. "Calm down."

"Calm down my ass!" I bubble, grinning broadly, finding a good place to stand amongst the people already here, waiting to meet their friends; family; loved ones. "I haven't seen Alex since Summer and I have been buzzing all month."

"Yeah, I know," he rolls his eyes, although he's excited too. He's excited even though I dragged him down to the airport with me and he's still in his clothes from the school day, and he's carrying a backpack full of homework he's been getting on with in the car. He still loves me enough to attempt to match my happiness, forever the ray of sunshine.

But I'm waiting for another ray of sunshine right now, and my excitement is bursting out of my brain and overflowing in my heart and hitching a ride in my blood and reaching my fingertips and toes, making me bounce slightly, and when people start appearing through the gate I actually squeak and jump. Mike laughs, folding his arms, and we scan the crowd as they emerge in clusters, suitcases trawling after them, rucksacks of carryons weighing on their backs.

And then, as if a beacon is spinning above his head, I spot him immediately. Although he has highlights in his hair now and scruff around his jaw, he's still unmistakable with that loping, bouncing gait and that inquisitive, open look on his face, and when he spots me his face lights up in that goofy old smile, and Alex Gaskarth starts jogging towards us.

I meet him halfway, jogging the rest of the distance, and we throw ourselves at each other as if it's been years since we last saw each other. I have a million things to say, but they all come out at once, tangled up in an; "Arrrggh!"

"I have missed you so much!" Alex exclaims eventually, squeezing me tightly and wriggling, and I just groan again before stepping back.

"I've missed you too! Oh my God, your highlights look even better in person."

"Of course they do," Alex smiles, that easy-breezy, Baltimore-bred accent painted with character, and he flicks his hair to prove a point. "You're looking wonderful, as ever."

"You're a liar," I quip, linking arms as we start walking back towards Mike, taking his suitcase from him. "But I'll take your compliments anyway. Jesus, this is like a rock, what the hell is in your suitcase and how did you even get it through checkin?"

"It's like, two sets of clothes, and the rest is college work. Checkin was fun. Mike!" He exclaims as we meet Mike back at our spot, and throws his arms around him. Mike happily grips back with his good arm, smiling.

"Hey Alex. Good flight?"

"Long flight," Alex corrects, and steps back, patting his shoulder. "How's your arm?"

"I get the cast off in a week!" He exclaims. "Pretty stoked about that. It'll be nice to be able to carry shit again. Have you ever broken an elbow? I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty excruciating and not very handy."

"I'll bear that in mind next time I'm dancing down a corridor singing Dangerous Woman," Alex clarifies, wrapping an arm around his shoulders as we head for the exit. "Where are your folks?"

"Working late," I sigh. "Again. Dad's probably forgotten you're coming, but no problem. How are you doing? Jet lagged?"

"You bet your tiny ass. I think I could collapse right now, but I'm going to be much worse on the way back. It's worse flying West to East. But that doesn't matter! I'm so stoked for the OC Event. Can you do my makeup for me?"

"Are you kidding?" I snort. "As if I'd let you do your own makeup. If we're going as a two piece you're going to have to look as fabulous as me, bitch."