The Monday after -7-

Start from the beginning

I nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"I'm just trying to make sure I remember everything. I kind of want to write a song about it later... parties and all that. A nice cliché. I'm basing it of last Friday. So, what did you do when you got to Sebastian's house?" Good question. I couldn't even remember myself. It was weird that I couldn't remember what happened that night, but hey, that's why you shouldn't drink.

I blushed. "Actually, I'm not sure..."

She shrugged. "I don't blame you, you had a lot to drink." My blush ripened. "But if you happen to remember, just let me know." I nodded, and for the majority of my lunch period I chatted with Avia, Shyla, and Diontrey. I was happy that I had met all of them that night, as much as Dannie would say that I could be confident when I put my mind to it, I don't think I ever could have mustered up the courage to join their group on a normal day.

There was about ten minutes left of lunch, so I got up and went to throw my tray away. When I went back to sit down, Sebastian gestured for me to come over to his side of the table. "Can I talk to you for a second?" He asked. His left hand was tapping against the table. I was starting to recognize that as his nervous habit.

"Well, we're talking right now..." I quipped.

He smiled tightly, his hand still tapping. "Outside, I mean."

I felt my stomach knot up. What could this be about? "Uh, yeah, sure."

He stood up and we started off towards the cafeteria doors. Dannie shot me a curious look as we were leaving. I shrugged. The hallways were empty aside from the occasional janitor. Everyone was either in the middle of class or lunch.

He lead me down one of the empty hallways lined with lockers. "Well." He blinked at me and I looked back at him, feeling my stomach flip flop.

"What is it?" I said with a little more anxiety than I had intended.

"What do you remember from Friday?"

Was this what he wanted to talk about? "I already told you, I don't remember much." His eyebrows raised slightly. "Why are you asking?" They we're minute movements, but I was pretty sure he was also anxious.

"You don't remember anything specific?" The look on his face was pure desperation.

My eyebrows drew together at his expression. "Not really. I remember going to the party and that's about it...Sebastian, what's wrong?" His left hand was twitching.

He pressed his lips together and stepped closer. He was close enough that I could see his eyes, a deep blue speckled with green and slivers of silver. "I need to tell you something." For some reason the intensity of his gaze made me look away. "It has to do with you." My eyes found his again, and I felt my hands getting clammy.

Whatever it was, it must have been pretty bad.
"Okay. Tell me."

"Merde..." He muttered. He squeezed his eyes shut then looked away. I was starting to realize he wasn't going to get it out unless we came up with a compromise or I pushed him a little.

"Is it something you can show me? Did I do something graphic?" I wasn't sure what I could have done, exactly, but I was willing to bet Dannie was involved somehow. Maybe she had roped me into pouring liquor down her shirt and it made him uncomfortable.

"I don't know if 'graphic' is the right word for it. It's probably better if I don't." He said quietly.

I looked at him, puzzled. "Um, well, we've got class in like, five minutes. Do you want to tell me later?"

He sighed and shook his head. "No. I just hope this doesn't make things weird." His gaze moved to the tiles. His voice was a barely there whisper. "We kissed that night."

I felt the blood rushing out of my ears. I must have misheard him. "What?"

"I...you said you could not go home drunk, so I took you to my house. And you kissed me." His voice was still faint.

I tried to swallow and made a choked noise. "Wh— why would I do that?" I stumbled backward, suddenly aware that we were way too close. I was faintly aware of my hands shaking.

His gaze snapped up from the floor and he stared at me. "I'm not sure. I just thought you'd want to know." Then in my head it all clicked. They way Noel had been throwing out his sly remarks, the little touches, how angry he got about Peter, and then the thing with my mother...

"Sebastian..." I croaked out. My voice sounded far away. "Are you... ?"

His face was grim. "What do you think?"

Before I could formulate a response, the bell rang and people came pouring out. "I'll see you later I guess..." I mumbled. Try in all of my classes. He nodded and started of in the direction of our next class. I waited until he had disappeared into the crowd before starting off that way.

I felt stupid and confused. He was gay, how had I not known? I made it to the class without even consciously thinking about it. I got into my seat and tried to focus on class, which was pretty much impossible because I only had one thought in my mind.

He was gay, but I was the one who had kissed him. What did that make me?

♧♣♧♣