The Monday after -7-

Depuis le début

I didn't blame her though, Sebastian was the epitome of perfect. He was tall, smart, good-looking, and he was interesting. Everything I wasn't. I shouldn't have felt so wounded over the way she discreetly compared the two of us earlier, but I was. I was could never be her image of perfect. Never. No matter what I did, how I changed the way I looked, and no matter what grades I got, I would always be the opposite of what she wanted. Two little teardrops joined the droplet of soap in my hand. I blinked a few times so no more would appear, then I started washing the dishes.

♧♣♧♣

The following Monday was pretty uneventful. I sat through my morning classes then during my free period I went into the library to study with Dannie. Or well, I studied and Dannie gossiped. "...so apparently, she's gone out with three other guys since him but she says it's not the same." I nodded. I was half-listening to her and trying to cram for a test I had after lunch. "So what did you do on Sunday?"

"Sebastian." I said without thinking. She was silent for a second. "What?" I said without looking up.

"You just said you did Sebastian..." I looked up and saw her face was red because she was trying to hold in laughter. I felt my face flush in embarrassment.

"That's not what I meant..." It took her a full minute to regain control over herself. "What I meant to say, was he came over and we had lunch and stuff." Dannie took most things sexually and it usually annoyed me but today I had kind of walked into that one so I let it slide.

She waggled her eyebrows suggestively. "'And stuff'?"

My eyes widened and I turned and even darker red. "T-that, that's not--" I gave up. She was clutching her stomach silently shaking with laughter. "Maybe I should just..." I picked up my books and left her laughing in the library.

♧♣♧♣

I went to sit at my usual table for lunch, and I saw Diontrey, Shyla, and Avia sitting along with Sebastian, Luke, Peter and Dannie. I sat down beside Avia because that was the only spot that was open. I noticed Sebastian wasn't in his usual place, he was seated on the far side of the table with Peter. When I pulled up a chair he gave me an unreadable look. I shot him back a questioning one, but I didn't want to interrupt the flow of conversation, so I unpacked my food and began to listen.

"Can you believe Shyla didn't drink anything?" Diontrey exclaimed. "I mean, I didn't get wasted enough to pass out or anything, but I was pretty lit." I cringed internally, wondering if they had seen me doing anything weird that night. I hadn't brought it up to anyone, but I barely remembered the party.

Shyla rolled her eyes. "I'll have you know, that you don't need alcohol to have fun at a party." True. I would have to remember that next time.

Diontrey grinned. "No, you just need to stand on your head and do back flips." Shyla gave him a look and we all laughed.

"Alcohol does make things more fun though." Luke put in. "Beer goggles make everything and everyone look better."

Dannie nudged him playfully. "I hope you aren't insinuating something."

"Maybe I am. What then?" She leaned over and whispered something in his ear. His eyes widened. "You wouldn't!" She gave him a try me kind of look. They got lost in there own little argument so I turned away from them. Dannie and Luke had had this type of relationship since... pretty much forever. Half the time they hated each other, the other half they couldn't stand to be away from the other. It was ridiculous.

Peter and Sebastian were having their own conversation about something I wasn't listening to so I ended up talking to Shyla, Diontrey, and Avia. "If I remember correctly, you had a lot to drink, right?" The question was directed at me. Avia absently twirled a strand of her red-tipped hair around her finger, she pursed her lips thoughtfully. "You went home with Sebastian?"