Chapter Twelve

Ana

Week 28

I was beaming when Dad's face came into view on my laptop screen. He was looking better and better with each week, gaining more weight and looking more alive than he had in months.

"Dad," I breathed in relief, just like I did every time I talked to him. "You look great."

And then he rolled his eyes like he always did. "Why does everyone always say that? As if there were a time I didn't know great?" When I opened my mouth to retort, he cut me off. "Do not answer that. How are you doing? Not too lonely right? It feels like you get bigger each time I talk to you."

I gave him a dirty look. "Wow, thanks I hadn't noticed. I'm fine, Dad. My back's been killer but other than that, we're doing okay. Nina's been here every day and Justin calls every night before I go to bed." He had been on the road for the past three weeks, trying and succeeding to maintain his undefeated season. But he was coming back to us in 2 days and honestly, I had been counting down the days since he left.

He wasn't able to be home for Thanksgiving and since Dr. Lee was starting to get apprehensive about me traveling, I couldn't be with my family. Nina ended up bringing me to her home to spend the holiday with her family and I ended up being surrounded by a bunch of friendly strangers who witnessed me cry the first time the baby ever kicked. I was getting bigger by the day and I tried not to think too hard about all of the things Justin was missing out on. Everything he did was for this little family. As long as he was around when the baby was actually here, when it counted, that's what mattered to me.

"I miss you, kid. I wish I could give you a big hug." Dad said.

"Me too, Dad. I promise, as soon as I pop this thing out, we're on our way out there. I love you."

***

Week 30

For Christmas, Gianna and Gavin had flown in to spend the day with us. I had insisted to Gianna a few weeks earlier that I didn't want a baby shower, considering the fact that besides her, Lisa and Nina, there was no one else to really invite. So for Christmas, she had gone overboard on gifts for the baby that consisted of mostly overpriced clothes for infants.

"God, what would I have done if you were having a boy?" She had sighed.

"You know she's gonna grow out of all of this right?" Justin pointed out as he held up a pink onesie from the pile.

"Then I go buy more." Gianna replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Justin looked over at Gavin, who just shook his head and shrugged. He learned a long time ago that there was never really anything else to add when it came to his wife.

Having my best friends in New York filled a small bit loneliness in me that I didn't even notice was there. So much was changing so quickly and as I got closer to my due date, having some part of my family around me relieved some of the stress that was starting to fall on me. Gianna had already cleared her schedule in the spring to visit me and the baby as Justin began preparing for the championships.

For New Year's Eve, Justin had a formal charity party to attend and wanted me to be his date for. I was at a point where, because of the fact that I was getting bigger, I wasn't feeling the greatest about myself. But the thought of spending another holiday alone bummed me out, and the fact that despite having a lot of other options, Justin wanted me to go with him made me say yes.

I knocked on the door of Justin's bedroom, holding the skirt of my black gown up so I wouldn't trip. "Crazy how even in the most beautiful dress, I can still feel this gross." My feet were sore, my back was getting worse and worse and I had not been sleeping well at all. It had gotten to the point where I was crossing off the days until March and I could finally get my baby out of me.