Chapter Seven

Justin

Ana was a really good friend. Despite all the shit that went down the night before, she had a huge smile planted on her face as she made her way down the aisle towards the altar. She didn't even hint at the turmoil going through her mind that far exceeded mine. This was Gavin and Gianna's day--everything else could be saved for another one.

The smiles on the couple's faces and the tears in both their eyes as Gianna made her way toward Gavin was enough to show that last night's fight meant nothing. The two were strong enough to get through anything and they were exactly where they were supposed to be.

As Gianna and Gavin exchanged vows and rings, I couldn't take my eyes off of Ana. I still couldn't even after the ceremony ended and we moved on to take pictures. The way she smiled brightly as she watched her best friends get married, the way she ran around making sure everything was the way Gianna and Gavin wanted it. She clearly thrived on the happiness of the people she cared about.

I lived in a world where I ran my own show. It was every man for himself.

But if I wanted anyone on my team, it'd be Ana.

We were gonna make one hell of a team.

The reception was as large and extravagant as anyone could expect from a party thrown by Gianna. A slow song played long after the couple's first one as I found Ana sitting at our table, glass of water in her hand.

"Care to dance?" I held my hand out. She stared at it for a moment before nodding, placing her glass down and taking my hand. We moved side-to-side on the dance floor in silence, not even looking at each other. "So--"

"I'm keeping it, Justin." Ana said quietly before I could get my words out.

My heart stuttered, "What?"

"I'm not getting an abortion, that was never an option." She shook her head. "And it's not like I'm some dumb teenager that needs to give it up for adoption. I'm an adult. Gavin arranged to have me see a doctor tomorrow afternoon. If this is really...if this is happening...then I want to have this baby. I'm not giving him up."

"That's good, Ana. That's...that's really good." For some reason, it felt like I could breathe easier than I could before. I told Ana I'd stand by her decision, no matter what it would be. But I knew that if she had chosen her other options, something in me would change. I would live the rest of my life always thinking about the what-ifs.

"My dad...he would want this. He'll be proud of my decision. The thought that he could get to meet his grandchild before..." She trailed off, unable to find the words and not needing to.

"This baby is going to be so loved, Ana." I said, nudging her chin so she was looking up at me. "We got this okay? We got this."

Ana nodded, leaning her head forward so her head was laid on my shoulder. I moved my hand up so it was cupping her neck. We swayed side-by-side as one song bled into another.

--

Ana and I had the house to ourselves that night after the wedding. The other guests were all back in their beds while the newlyweds were off in a suite celebrating their first night as a married couple.

"I'm gonna go shower." Ana said, cupping the back of her neck and looking down at the floor.

"Okay," I smiled gently. "Good night."

In my room, I pulled out my phone. I didn't care where in the world Leo was right now or what time is was there.

"Bieber." My coach's gruff voice came through the line.