Chapter 8

the tale of the running boy | 08

DID HE HAVE TO BE somewhere?

The music was the kind that blared so loud, anyone in the room would have ringing ears afterwards. The room was packed too, which usually didn't bother Daniel, but it was hot and muggy and all he wanted to do was find a nice, empty room and recollect his thoughts.

And he was forgetting something.

Frustrated, Daniel snatched a cup of water and downed it in three gulps. The liquid burned on its way down his throat, and he relished how his eyes watered from it. He stumbled into an empty bathroom. Was that spiked? Whatever, that's what he deserved for letting his friends bring him to this party. He had a Calc test the next day. What was he doing?

Daniel looked into the bathroom mirror. He wasn't drunk. More like... Woozy. He was woozy and everything was kind of fuzzy, but after he splashed icy water on his face, his surroundings started to clear.

And he remembered.

"Shit!"

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

He was drunk.

Daniel was drunk.

"What the-" She sighed, frustrated. She didn't know him very well, but she did know that Daniel Mormon was punctual, and very tidy.

She didn't know that he was capable of looking like a homeless man who just came back from looking through the trash.

"I told you to come at five," she hissed, glaring at him.

"I kno-"

"It's eight thirty, Mormon."

Daniel looked ashamed. He also looked petrified, which made Harriet very proud.

"I'm sorry," Daniel slurred, tilting in his stance. Harriet sprang up and steadied him. Daniel continued to mumble an incoherent apology. Harriet suddenly felt morbidly conscious in her pajama shorts and extra large t-shirt.

"I think we shouldn't have the practice today," Harriet's tone had changed from venomous to weary. She had seen drunk people before, and she knew that Daniel would not be able to manually open a door, let alone dance.

"No... No!" Daniel looked panicked, "We are having practice. Now." He gazed at Harriet's incredulous expression. "I didn't just run two miles to your house for no reason." Now that Harriet was paying attention, she did notice the sweat glistening off Daniel's forehead.

And how the hell did he run, drunk?

Before Harriet could protest, Daniel pushed through her and walked into her house.

Harriet couldn't wait to add 'breaking and entering' to the list of deeds she thought Daniel was never capable of.

- - - - - - -

did anyone check out the absolutely gorgeous gif of tom webb because he is gorgeous did I say he is gorgeous cause he is