Chapter 3

What Happens in the Principal's Room, stays in the Principal's Room | 03

"WHAT YOU DID BACK THERE was a horrible mistake Ms. Benchman," Principal Wright reprimanded, sternly eyeing Harriet.

"I know," Harriet remorsefully stated, "What a waste of cookie batter."

Principal Wright gave Harriet a glare so large, it rocked the school. Harriet shut up.

Behind her, the door jingled indicating someone entering the room.

"Mr. Mormon. Please have a seat."

Harriet froze in her spot. After a good two seconds, she turned her head. Slowly, as if in a horror movie.

There, in his utter glory, stood Daniel Mormon. Albeit, he was slightly awkward, looking like he wanted to be anywhere but the principal's office, in the same room as his arch enemy.

"I brought you both here to discuss your, uh, difference of opinion."

Harriet snorted, earning another ground breaking glare from Mrs. Wright. Harriet felt bad for the woman's children. They must be terrified.

"Ms. Benchman, you seem to have a little, rivalry with this young man, I'd that correct?"

"You've got that right," Harriet mumbled to herself while Daniel solemnly (what a kiss-up) nodded, as if it hurt himself to admit that he hated Harriet's guts.

"Well, I have a deal with you," Wright said, eyeing both of them.

A deal? The only deal Harriet would ever agree to included a shovel, and an obituary that had Daniel's name printed on it.

"You and Mr. Mormon are going to dance."

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

"Dance?" Harriet and Daniel literally screeched at the same time. Wright's face twisted into an evil grin, almost as if she couldn't believe what she said, but it was perfect nonetheless.

"Yep," She handed a black poster to Harriet, Daniel glancing over her shoulder anxiously.

JOIN US AT THE RACE TO THE WIN COMPETITION!

ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST BE PAIRS, AND ABOVE THE AGE OF 16. WINNER PRIZE: $2000

"What is this?" Harriet said indignantly, insulted that her beloved principal would even think she would agree to it. "There is no way I'm agreeing to this-"

"I knew you wouldn't agree to this."

"Thank you! That's why you should let me-"

"That's why I'm making it mandatory. If you don't apply, I'm failing you."

Harriet and Daniel gawked at their principal. Harriet couldn't believe what was happening. It felt like a nightmare so vivid, if only she could pinch herself awake. But the reality of the situation was already crushing every nerve in her body.

With a deadly glare, Harriet let a few smoky words fall out of her mouth, "If this meeting is over, I have better things to do right now."

Harriet pushed the door and hastily walked out of the room, seething from every pore on her face. She had just started to cool down when a rough hand grabbed her arm.

"Wait!"

Harriet swiveled around to come face-to-face with the one person she hated the most.

"What do you want?" Harriet harshly whispered.

"Well, I was just thinking-"

"Wait, you're agreeing?" Harriet couldn't help but screech. Dan winced as if hearing her say it made it sound even worse.

"She said she would fail us!" Desperation creeped into his voice, "It's senior year, I can't let a stupid dance fling get in the way of my future!"

Harriet snorted. "What a dork. Well, have fun failing, cause you're getting nothing from me."

Then she abruptly shook her hand out of his grasp and walked away from him, revelling in the despair emanating off of him.