(1.3) Empty Building

Start from the beginning

The footsteps stopped—close. No one spoke, though she could feel the eyes on her, and ever so slowly she raised her head to look up at whoever it was that had intruded in this most sacred of times. It was a boy, no older than her. He looked at her quizzically, and Kael relaxed automatically. He was not here to find her. Judging by the disregarded beer cans, she guessed he was down here doing something less than legal. If he didn't see the pills he'd just keep on walking, leave her alone, and she wouldn't have to hurt anyone.

“What do you want?” Her throat was dry, and she did not meet his eyes.

He was attractive, with black hair, and contrasting blue eyes. There was nothing intimidating about his size or stance, but there was just something off about him.

“Kael, I-” His voice was soft, but his speech cut off suddenly like he'd forgotten what he was going to say.

She jumped into a crouch, shoving the handful of pills into her sweater pocket. “Who the hell are you? How do you know my name?”

He didn't answer. He just kept staring at her, eery blue eyes unmoving.

“I asked you a question!” Kael straightened to her full height.

There was something frightening about how he'd just frozen there, as if he was nothing more than a hauntingly realistic statue. Why did he look sad, staring at her? Could he see through her sweater, to the pills? Had he noticed the discarded bottle on the floor? Still not a word passed his lips.

Anger bubbled and Kael slammed her hand forwards. The boy flew through the air, making contact with the wall at the far end of the hall. She kept him pinned, teeth grinding together. She could hold him there, take the pills and let her death set him free. But she was a cat, and that boy was very curious. If it killed her in the end, perusing this mystery, then she would have achieved what she set out to do.

“How do you know who I am?” Kael squeezed as she approached, watched as he gasped helplessly for air. “If you don't talk I can break you in half. Don't think I'm lying.”

He looked at her, just looking. She applies more pressure, and his face contorted in pain. She felt bad right away. They had given her a self fulfilling prophecy. They wanted her to be a monster, that was exactly what she was becoming.

“Who are you?” she asked again.

It was obvious now, what she was doing. Some selfish part of her wanted to live, grasping at any distraction that presented itself.

“My name is Idan. I came here because-” He stopped speaking again and Kael began to worry she'd squeezed him too hard.

Reluctantly, she lowered him to the ground, still keeping him pinned in place, where he stood.

“I came here because you can't kill yourself.”

So he knew.

“Can't I?” She turned her back on him, brown ponytail slashing the air. “Listen Idan, I have no idea who you are, or what you think you know about me, but I've made up my mind.”

“Just listen for a second, Kael, please.” There was desperation in his voice. “I know you have no reason to believe me, but I need your help. I need you, please. You can't kill yourself, not yet.”

Kael couldn't help but smile, at the little addition to the end of his speech. It rang true in a way that nothing else this boy had said could have. The pills were in her pocket, under her control. At any second she chose she could snuff her life from existence. Just like that, control was regained, and her hands finally stopped shaking.