chapter eleven | silk

And I loved him. I loved him, I loved him, I loved him. And I still love him.. I love him.
- Lana Del Rey, National Anthem

L a n a

8:11 PM

"We'll be home in a few hours, Alannah," My mom spoke. "If you're hungry there are leftovers in the oven. Do not let anyone in and be in bed by ten. I'm giving you an extra hour because your birthday is tomorrow," I mentally rolled my eyes as she winked and gave me a quick kiss on the forehead, followed by my dad.

I almost forgot all about my birthday.

"Okay. Bye you guys, have fun. Love you!" I shouted before politely shutting the door in their face.

...

My parents had been gone for about thirty minutes or so before I started to feel lonely. I thought about going with them for a quick second but I denied their invite. They never got to see one another so I didn't want to intrude on their date night.

I started to wonder about where Harry was at. I hadn't seen him in little over a week, not even over in his yard. I've seen Diana a few times but wouldn't dare ask her about Harry since she's apparently already feeling 'suspicious' towards the two of us. I would just have to wait and see if he comes around.

Oddly enough, Diana and my mom began talking more and more each day. They're starting to get close, too close. I asked my dad how he felt about it and he didn't care either way. The thing about Diana is that she puts on this 'lovely person' persona when she's around others but when she's no longer in the eyes of the public she turns into a nasty person. I couldn't help but think that she was up to no good. But to my credit, I say nothing.

While I was in the kitchen fixing my favorite drink, vanilla milk, I heard a knock at the door. I know mom told me not to answer the door while she's gone but I figured I'd at least see who it was. As I tiptoed to the door I secretly hoped it was Harry. I mean it had to be, right? Who else creepily knocks on my door late at night when my parents aren't home?

I opened the door to find Harry standing there. He flashed a crooked smile as a cigarette hung carefully from his lips. He wore a plain black pair of pants and shirt with black boots and gold colored silk bomber jacket. I thought it was odd, but I liked it. I noticed his hair was much shorter than it was before.

"You cut off all of your hair?" I gasped.

"Yeah, it was uh, beginning to get a bit hot out."

I nodded and opened the door a bit more so he could enter.

"What are you doing here so late?"

He sat on the couch. "I came to see my girl for her Birthday." I felt my cheeks burning. "I know I won't get to take you anywhere tomorrow since your parents are going to be here for your birthday."

"I can't leave the house, my par-"

"Sh, we'll be back before they get home."

...

Bright city lights illuminated the road we were traveling down. Harry told me he wanted to take me out for a surprise for my birthday but first he had to make a quick stop. We quickly drove from our suburban neighborhood and into the city part of town.