chapter nine | envy

I always got the sense that he became tor between being a good person and
missing out on all of the opportunities that life could offer a man as magnificent as him.

June 21st 1945

Alannah managed to wake up extra early that day. June 21st was her Father's birthday and she knew if she wanted to get on her Father's good side she would have to actually be in his company from time to time.

She tipped toed past her parent's room, being sure not to wake her parents up who were deep in slumber. Once she made it down the steps and to the living room she hurried to the kitchen to make her Father a proper birthday breakfast. Just as Alannah began to flip the first pancake on the pan of six she heard the hard wood floor began to creak. She rushed to the kitchen door to see who it was.

"Crap!" She sighed and ran back to unoccupied stove.

Her father appeared in the kitchen door way. Alannah seen it as a deja vu moment. Her thoughts went back to the night when her mom and father argued over Harry and her. Then her mind went to Harry.

But, then again, when was her mind not on Harry?

"Hello?" Her Father, Daniel, spoke. "I asked what was the matter?"

Alannah blinked twice before speaking. "Oh, yeah. Nothing, it's just that I wanted to surprise you with a birthday breakfast but you woke up before I could finish," The saddened girl frowned.

"Oh, Alannah," Daniel chuckled. "Thank you, my sweet girl," He hugged her before leaving a quick kiss on her forehead.

"You're welcome Daddy," she smiled, embracing her dad in her arms.

"Alannah, I hope you're not mad at me."

"Because of what?" Alannah pulled away from her father's embrace.

"For acting the way I did over your friend. It's just that I know how dangerous the real world is, Alannah. You're my little girl and I'll do anything to keep you from getting hurt. I can't trust just anyone around you."

"I know," her voice was barely above a whisper, "It's just I don't have any friends, other than Toby and he's always working or something. Plus, Harry is a good guy. I enjoy talking to him."

"Oh, Alannah, that'll all change once you start school," Alannah's father reassured her, but Alannah wasn't buying it.

"Daddy, what if they don't like me? What if I get picked on?"

"Are you serious, lady bug!" Daniel exclaimed, "how could anyone not like you Alannah? I don't believe I've ever met a person as lovely as you, and I've met a lot of people," he chuckled and Alannah smiled slightly, "They'll love you, kiddo. And if not, well, we'll just give them a knuckle sandwich," her father winked.

"Oh, father! Why must you be like this!" Alannah chuckled, shoving her father's shoulder jokingly. 

"Because you're my little girl," he sighed, kissing her forehead, "I know I can be a little hard on you but you're my little girl and I want you to be the best young women you can possibly be. That means I must steer you in the right direction and make sure you're around those who will only be a positive influence for you, you see?"

"Yes, sir. I understand."

Alannah made her Father sit on the couch while she was cooking. She refused her Father's help, though he offered many times.

After breakfast was finished Alannah and her Father decided to set the table and wait for her Mother to awake. It had been awhile since they had breakfast together as a family, so she was a little excited. Shortly after the table was set her mother started down the stairs.