chapter six | sweets

He was charismatic, magnetic, electric and everybody knew it.

Hours felt like days.
Weeks felt like months.
Months felt like an eternity.

I missed him.

It had been about three weeks since I seen Harry. Mom made absolute sure I was no where near him as long as my father was around. And of course, my father had actually been staying home. I think I've actually seen Harry for a quick second a few times but never any physical or verbal contact.

Momma caught me trying open my window last Wednesday and grounded me to my room for a week. I'm only allowed to leave my bedroom if I need to use the bathroom or eat breakfast and dinner.

I really missed the sun. I missed the sun when it shined, the water when it rained, the wind when it blew; Harry when he smiled. I really missed talking to him. I missed the attention, I suppose. Attention was something I didn't get too often anymore so when I got an inkling of it, it's all I began to want.

...

While I was peering out of my bedroom window onto the street I heard footsteps coming from my right. I pressed my face against the warm glass to get a better view.

It happened to be Toby, the local news paper boy, and a friend. He was walking slowing up the street. I watched as he kicked small pebbles up the path he was walking on with his beat up maroon and white shoes. As I watched him walk across the street to the house where Harry happened to live an idea forced it's way to my brain.

"Toby, Toby!" I called. Unfortunately the thick glass kept my voice from being heard from the outside. I knew if I yelled too loud Mom would hear me and I couldn't take another week in my room. After what seemed like a millennia. I finally got my window up. Mom glued it shut. "Toby!" The boy's hazel eyes flicked towards mine.

"Oh. Hey, Annah!" Toby always called me Annah. I'm not sure why, but he did. He smiled brightly and waved his hand side to side aggressively.

"C'mere!" I whispered-shouted and motioned towards myself.

He jogged across the street to my window.

"Wanna come and play in the creek Annah!? I only have a few more papers left then we can go!" He hollered.

"Shhh! I'm grounded and Momma will hear your loud mouth and ground me longer!"

"Oh, sorry!" He whisper-shouted.

"It's okay. Look, I need you to do me a favor. Can you do that?"

"Sure." He took his hat off and wiped his brow. It's been a real hot summer.

"You know that house you just came from?"

He turned around to get a quick glance at the house. "Yeah, yeah. Ms. Diana lives there."

"Yeah, yeah," I attempted to hide my annoyance. "But there's a man that lives there, too," He nodded. "I need you to go back and give him a letter for me, please." Before he could answer I grabbed the sealed letter from my dresser and pushed it against his chest gently.

"Well," He snuffed. "What am I gonna get for doing this? I mean, it'll take me an awful long time to walk all the way back over there and knock on that door and wait so long for someone to answer," He groaned, dragging out 'all' and 'long'.

"I'll teach you how to tie your shoes?" He shook his head. "O-Or, or read?"

"Anyone can teach me that. Plus I know how to tie," He looked down at his tied shoe laces. "In fact, I know what I want!" He smiled and tapped his freckles cheek. "I want a bag of sweets! A whole bag. No fruit, only sweets. And the good kind, no grape or green apple!"

"Fine, Toby. I promise if you make sure Harry gets this, and only Harry, I'll give you a whole bag of sweets once I'm ungrounded, which is in exactly 4 and a half days. Which I don't think you need any sugar, considering you've got a huge cavity forming on your front tooth," I chuckled.

"Oh, that?" He rubbed his tongue over his rotting tooth. "That's just a baby tooth anyways, it's fixing to come out, see?" He wiggled it.

"Well, alright. Don't forget to make a wish and toss it on your roof once it falls out."

Right when Toby started to speak I heard my Mothers's voice call from the other side of the house. She came in view with a shovel and water hose in hand. "I'm sorry, Toby, but Alannah can't come out and play for the rest of the week-- she doesn't like to follow rules."

Toby shoved the note in his overall pocket. "Alright, Mrs. Lacy. I'm awful sorry for bothering you. I'll see you soon Annah." He smiled and left my window.

I quickly closed it and rushed to my bed so I wouldn't have to hear anymore of my mother's voice. I just hoped Harry would get his letter. After all Toby was a pretty reliable person, especially when sweets were involved.

-
really short bc I double updated this week and i dont want it to move too fast things will heat up in the next chapter or two x

anyways, HAVE YOU HEARD LOVE BY LANA DEL REY??? HOLY SHIT IS MESMERIZING