Chapter Twenty Four

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

Strong arms wrapped themselves around me again, accompanied by a very slight musky scent.

“Torsten.”

I hugged the young Navoran tightly, then held him at arm’s length, surveying his injuries.

“Those first,” he told me firmly, gesturing at the wounded who lay on the tables in the midst of the village. Perhaps not the cleanest place, but I was certain my gift allowed me to quash any infections that could be lethal.

After a gruffly delivered lecture about getting myself into such trouble, and threatening to keep me locked away in the future, Danu had stayed back at the beach to see that his men were camped down for the evening. He also made sure their injured were brought here where I could take care of them with the Sanilans, saving me multiple trips, and making it easier for me to prioritize the healings.

I looked after Yalli first, who was lying on his side atop one of the tables. After giving him a brief kiss on the cheek, I said, “Thank you, Yalli. You’re a man of honor and I’ll see you’re rewarded well for your service and courage.”

Tears formed in his eyes, and then he glanced around me, holding out his hand. Babbling tearfully in Sanilan, one of the village women rushed to him. “All I ask, my Lady, is that I can stay here,” he whispered as he wrapped the woman’s hand tightly in his.

I blinked, surprised. How had I not noticed a romance brewing in such close confines as this tiny island? My mind wandered over the last few days. When I realized they were staring at me expectantly, I brought myself back to the present and smiled.

“Of course. I will make all the arrangements necessary, and you’ll both always be welcome in Raldia, as residents or visitors.”

Yalli smiled and closed his eyes tiredly, squeezing his lady’s hand, and I reached behind him to place my hand over the arrow wound.

"Wait! Stop!" They were the last words I'd ever expected to hear from anyone when I was healing someone. Manto skidded to a halt next to me and pulled my hands away from Yalli. Yalli's new love glared angrily at him, but didn't speak when the Sanilan warrior hushed her impatiently and looked at me. Manto took a moment to catch his breath, then squeezed my hand gently. "Sorry. No heal."

I looked at him incredulously. "Wha-"

Ansuul, followed by his son, appeared at my side, looking between the warrior and me, then peering down at the hole in Yalli's back. He nodded. "Manto is right. We have seen these wounds in some of the animals after the Khralyans had been here. There is something stuck inside. If you attempt to heal it, he will die from blood poisoning."

Taphille gasped, and looked at me, then at his father. "What do we do, then?" he asked - the same question I'd had.

Ansuul said something to the woman holding Yalli's hand. She nodded and ran off, returning a few moments later with a stick which she held in front of Yalli's mouth. The soldier eyed me but I could only shrug, and nod, guessing he was going to need something to bite down on. As soon as he took the stick between his teeth, Ansuul plunged his fingers into Yalli's wound. I shuddered. Yalli screamed. The Sanilan woman burst into tears. 

"Ah ha!" Ansuul cried triumphantly and pulled his bloodied fingers away. Pinched between them was a small ball of metal. "Now," he said, nodding at me. 

Yalli was panting and sweating profusely and I was desperate to relieve his pain. The healing went quickly, and his hand gripping hers tightly began to relax as the green glow faded from where my hands met his hot, damp skin. Moments later, he was sound asleep. I smiled at the woman, and, just as I began to walk away, she wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tight.