Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

I scrambled to my feet, twisting an ankle painfully as the loose pebbles slipped from beneath me. Wincing, I stepped gingerly on the foot and pain shot up my leg. Bending down, I willed my gift into action, even just a little, as I rubbed at the tendons. Then, I limped as quickly as I could to the edge of the woods. It may have been the healing gift, or simply the adrenalin, but I soon forgot about the injury as I picked up speed, following the cries of terror and death. In a few moments, the deeper bellows of the warriors threaded through the panicked voices.

Bashiir! I cried with all the mental strength I could muster. Bashiir!

There was a crash in the underbrush to my right, and I was suddenly knocked from my feet and sent flying into the brambles of the nearest blackberry thicket. Spitting leaves and dead pieces of twigs from my mouth, I started to crawl out of the bush only to be shoved down again by a heavy weight that landed upon my back, knocking the wind from my lungs.

Don’t go yet, Lady. Saliva dripped onto the back of my neck and I realized, as the weight lifted away, that it was one of the wolves. Shaeto, judging by the masculine tone to his words.

“But the-"

No. Please, Lady. If you go now, they will only cut you down, like the rest. Let the men draw them out of the vil- His words cut off as he raised his head suddenly. Taphille! He dropped his yellow gaze to me once again. I must go protect the boy. Don’t be rash, Lady. He leapt away and disappeared into the moonlit shadows of the forest.

I scrambled to my feet, brushing at my clothes until I had so many thorns pricking my hands that I gave up.

Bashiir!

RindaLady. What is the matter? Came his sleepy voice.

The village is under attack! I thought you had a dragon on watch to keep track of the Khralyans!

Anger flooded me and, though I knew it was Bashiir’s and not my own, I had enough to match it. Yegg! I suspected we could not trust him, but he insisted…

What are you talking about?

No time now, RindaLady. I must rally the clan. Be safe.

And you as well, though his presence was gone. What did he mean? I vaguely remembered Yegg, a black dragon with an unusually dull hide, shifty eyes and permanent scowl. Had he allowed the Khralyans to reach the shoreline? I shook my head as I gingerly plucked thorns from my palms. I wanted to get moving, but I understood why Shaeto wanted me to wait; I’d be absolutely useless if I were dead, and it would be nearly impossible for me to do any healing of those injured in the village if I didn’t allow the warriors and the dragons to draw the enemy away first. My stomach churned in anticipation of the slaughter I would likely find with the villagers having been attacked in their sleep.

RindaLady, have you any idea of their numbers? Bashiir asked.

I shook my head. No, but I’ll find out. It would give me something to do besides waiting. I stepped onto the trail and looked around to get my bearings. The sky was turning pink to the east, so I put my back to it and headed toward the west side of the island, perpendicular to the track. The underbrush was thick, as I had expected, but after so many years tracking game in Raldia, I quickly found a smaller trail, likely a fox path, that headed west and slightly south. The way became easier as the woods around me lightened with the coming of day. I kept the sounds of the wounded and dying to my left, gritting my teeth as I forced myself to ignore them and move forward. The dragons and the other warriors needed whatever information I could give them, and hearing the sounds of metal on metal, I determined that the fight was still too near the village for my safety.There was a sound like someone dropping a stone into the keep's cauldron, but louder, sharper, and someone screamed.