Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

The grey’s mane ruffled gently against my hands in the cooling breeze that wafted over our group of seven as our mounts walked briskly down the road. The sun was at our backs, but only just past its zenith and we were all sweating, despite having shed every extra layer we could afford to. How I wished for the clouds and the cooling rains of autumn, but they were not due for another month yet. I thought back on Danu’s words yesterday; how was I going to survive the heat of the desert? He didn’t really expect me to be indoors all the time, did he? I needed to ride. Often. I shuddered at the thought of such restriction, and turned my face to the open expanse of sapphire sky. I tried in vain to imagine what sort of buildings would stay cool in a desert climate. Even the inside of my own home grew stifling this time of year, despite its cool stone walls.

A few candlemarks later, I jerked upright. Lost in my thoughts as I’d been, the quiet murmur of the men with me, the jingle of bridles, swishing of tails and the sounds of the woods and fields had all filled me with a deep sense of peace, lulling me into a light doze. The peace was broken now by the thuds of hammers striking nails and the grinding of metal saws biting into wood. I looked around me and I felt some of the tension ease out of my shoulders as I found the men in my retinue were alert but relaxed, if somewhat solemn. We had just passed the road that led to Garli Harbor, or what was left of it, telling me we had been riding alongside the Ghost Fields for some time now, so I understood their slightly pensive mood. Many had loved ones who had been buried in those fields not only twelve years ago, but recently as well. There were still scorch marks and craters from both battles, the recent ones only just beginning to grow in with vegetation again.

 “What is all that racket?” I asked out loud for anyone to answer, breaking the melancholy.

My eyes met Torsten’s, who rode beside me, and he grinned at me knowingly. The expression on his face seemed to lighten the mood somewhat.

“My lady, your people have been hard at work at the Harbor,” he explained. “When they have found themselves idle, they’ve made the trek and put their skills and their hands to use.”

“How long has this been going on?” I asked, somewhat irked. Last I had heard there were only rumors that the Raldians had ambitions to rebuild it. Had I known, I’d have lent my own hands, if only to cure the boredom of extended summer days with little to do but watch the plants grow.

“Since the spring planting was finished, m’Lady,” spoke up one of Torsten’s people who had chosen to accompany us. Eve, I recalled her name. The fine boned blond had found herself magically inclined only a few weeks ago and was returning to Navora, eager for training.

“Well, I won’t delay our journey right now, but I would like to stop and see their progress on the way back,” I stated.

“As you wish, m’Lady.” I glanced over to my left as trotting hoofs approached. The speaker, who had spurred his mount to catch up to me, was the man Peps had assigned as commander for our little foray, one Lieutenant Wattar. He smiled, and then peered over his shoulder at the sun. “I know we are nearing the pass, m’Lady, and it is still some time yet before sundown, but might I suggest that we make camp early and continue through the mountains with a full day to do so?”

I nodded. “It sounds like a reasonable suggestion to me, Lieutenant. When you find a place, we’ll make camp.”

“I know a place,” Torsten said, a bit shyly. I tilted my head at him questioningly. My pack and I stayed there… It’s safe and sheltered. His reluctance at speaking was no surprise; he and those of his pack who’d settled in Tap Hill spoke little of their time as Quilbai. He glanced at Eve and she nodded encouragingly. “There’s an old wayfarer’s cabin not far from the base of the pass. It’s still in decent condition, and the lady will have a place to herself. In the morning we can begin our ascent directly.”