Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

                I jump back startled at the reflection of myself that I had just witnessed. Was that just a vision of my imagination I had just seen, or did that really just happen? What about that voice that was circulating around the bathroom. ‘Kill...’ is what it had said to me. I could hear the voice surrounding me, but there was no one to be seen. What was happening to me?

There is a light knock at the door.

“Who is it?” I ask suspicious, but there is no reply.

There is a knock at the door again, but with more force this time.

“Who is it?” I ask again, becoming more agitated.

“Christian, it’s me...” Lorraine’s voice says from behind the door.  “Open the door Christian, I need to see you. I’ve missed you.”

I shake my head. “Leave us alone!” I shout. “Just leave us alone!”

There is no reply.

“Why won’t you let me see you Christian? I’ve missed you so much. I know you have missed me too.”

“Just leave us alone! You’re not Lorraine!”

“Christian!” her voice responds angrier. “If you do not open this door right now, I am going to hurt them.”

“You stay away from my family!” I shout in fierce anger.

“Then you open this fucking door!” she roars back at me, with a forceful push against the door which startles me again.

I want to go open the door, but I can’t. I did not know what was behind that door, yet I did not know whether if there was really anything there. But I was too much of a coward to do anything. My legs are feeling like jelly, and my hands are uncontrollable shaking in fear. Had these malevolent spirits followed us from the house? Or was I just going insane.  

“Is anyone there?” I ask after a few minutes of silence, but there is no response.

I walk over towards the door, and look down at the doorknob, placing my right hand on it and hearing the sound of the door unlock. I open the door and look out at the hallway, but there is no-one. Perhaps the voices were all just a part of my disturbed imagination. I know it would be take time to get to use to how things were.

***

I walk downstairs, feeling much more refreshed, but still troubled by the voices that I had heard that were still playing on my mind. It was like I couldn’t think about anything else, except them voices.

“Christian!” Julie says with enthusiasm as I enter the living room. “It’s really good to see you!” she says hugging me.

“It’s good to see you too Julie.” I reply, as she unwraps her arms that are around me. Even behind the enthusiasm, I could tell by her facial expression that she look concerned. Maybe it was because she was checking every single horrible feature about me. My receding hairline, noticeable weight loss, and my gaunt looking face. If I was looking through their eyes, I would have thought perhaps I had some sort of drug addiction.

“Please, stay for long as you like Christian. You and Abigail are welcome in our house as long as you want.” She says sincerely.

“I appreciate that very much.” I reply, sitting down one of the chairs. Jamie is cuddling into Julie, and Abigail is sitting on the floor, looking up at the television which is only a few meters from her.

Julie had always liked kids since I had known her. She had been with Jamie for nearly eight years now, and had been planning on arranging a marriage but neither had got around to it. Behind the happiness between them though, I could feel the sadness. Jamie discovered that he was unable to have children nearly two years ago, which heavily affected the relationship as they both wanted to start a family. It was also I believe one of the main reasons as to why the marriage had been delayed.