I never imagined it would end like this.

My heart was beating fast. My palms sweaty and my breathing quick.

"We love you, Tokky. Always." My mum promised, hugging me tightly.

"I know. But I have to do this, mum. For me. For Connor." I blinked back tears when I pulled away to hug my dad briefly and then my siblings.

"I never imagined it would end like this." Tyde mumbled.

"It's not the end, Tyde. It's a new beginning. A fresh start." I reminded him. "This is the only way and it's going to be good. For all of us, I think."

"As long as you're happy, we don't care what you do." My dad assured me and I smiled.

"Thanks. I'll miss you guys. So much."

"But it's not like we'll never see you, right?" Sage clarified.

"Of course not. Remember, all you have to do is call me and I'll answer. Promise." My phone buzzed, signalling time. I had to go, now or never. "I love you guys. Thank you for understanding."

"Always, Tokky." Mum sneaked in one last hug as I turned to board my plane. The plane that would change my life forever.

I was flying to LA.

Connor didn't know yet. He wouldn't know until I turned up on his doorstep.

It was six months after I made my decision. Six months of torture. Six months of wanting, needing to be with Connor. Six months of Skype calls filled with desperate conversation, telling each other how much we wished we were together.

It had been a mutual decision that, until I made the move, neither of us would visit the other. It just seemed monumental. A way for me to really say goodbye to my hometown.

It hadn't been a mutual decision, however, for this to be a surprise.

That had been Tyler's idea. 

Yes, I finally made peace with Tyler and we were on speaking terms again. Not as close as we once were, but close enough that he helped me plan to surprise Connor.

It seemed like forever before I was walking up the familiar little path towards Connor's front door, my suitcase bumping along behind me.

My heart started racing as I got to the front door, hearing no sound from inside.

I rang the doorbell and waited.

Waited for the door to the rest of my life to open.

"Troye?!" The look on his face when he opened the door was priceless. But not more so than the look on his face when I knelt in front of him, right there on his front porch.

"Connor Joel Franta, I love you more than anything. Will you marry me?"