Chapter 3 - Charm

Chapter 3 – Charm

I found Aerie trying on dresses in her room. She had several beautiful cowgirl outfits. “Where’d you get the money for that?” I laughed. “Rob a bank?”

I walked in to see if I could steal an extra dress for the dance in two hours. “I think the brown one looks good. What do you think?” She asked. Aerie twirled as it flowed above her knees. “Someone is in a better mood,” I said. “Make your eyes stand out.”

Aerie grabbed a blue bandana. She tied it around her neck and twisted her shoulders. “You’re right. Wearing the brown dress?”

“Of course!” I beamed. I began undressing as Aerie checked her phone. “Is everything okay between you and Adam?” I asked. Aerie nodded. “Yea, I just – I just thought he would ask me to the dance. I kind of thought we were dating.”

I pulled my dress up and then wrapped my arms around my bionic sister. “Want to come to the dance with me?” I pleaded. “No one has asked me out.”

 Aerie smiled. “Alright. Let’s go,” She laughed.

It got me thinking. Chase never asked me to the dance. Then again Chase and I were friends; just friends.

When we got to the dance, Adam was on the stairs waiting for Aerie. “I better go inside,” I said. I swiftly left the two alone – well I made sure they thought they were alone. I hid behind the pillar to listen to them.

“I’ve missed you,” Adam said. He handed Aerie a single rose. “Thanks,” She smiled. It quickly faded away. “Adam, I should go inside. Charm is my date.”

Aerie tried walking passed Adam. “What’s wrong, meatball?” He whimpered. Aerie’s eyes watered. “You never asked me to the dance.”

Adam was silent. “I thought we were a couple – I thought our kiss was just more than a kiss,” She said. Now I wanted to beat Adam up.

“I didn’t ask anyone because I knew I was going with you. There was no other girl in my mind,” He explained. “Aerie, I love you.”

Adam bent his knees to kiss Aerie. She was hesitant at first. She dropped her rose to wrap her arms around Adam.

While the two were talking and kissing, I met Bree in the cafeteria. “What do you think?” Bree asked as I walked in. “Love the western theme.”

“Thanks, I had to lose my date, but it was worth it,” Bree shrugged. “Aerie left me for Adam so I’m dateless – once again.”

“I got you,” Bree laughed.

“First Aerie, now you? I’m a lucky girl, aren’t I?”

The cafeteria doors were kicked open. Everyone stared at Adam, Chase, and Leo. They were wearing blue suits like the Ghost Busters. “Bree!” Chase shouted. Bree and I walked slowly to our embarrassing friends.

“Have you seen any ghosts?” Chase asked. Bree rolled her eyes.

I pulled Adam to the side. “Where’s Aerie?” I asked. “Meatball?” Adam wondered. “I’ve been trying to make a giant omelet in the Grand Canyon for the last two days. My clone has been here.”

“You have a clone?” I shrieked. Adam put his finger to his lip. “Only Leo, Aerie, and I know. Shh, you can’t tell anyone.”

“Adam, Aerie thinks you’re with her!”

I grabbed Leo who was under the snack table looking for ghosts. “Leo, Adam has a clone?” I snapped. Leo’s eyes went wide. “Yea, but Adam2 has been in school for only two days. No problem. Tonight we’ll zap Adam2 away for good.”

“Awe,” Adam groaned. “I wanted another brother.”

I ran out of the gym to find Aerie. I pulled out my phone to track Aerie. I planted a GPS in her phone when I first gave it to her.

Her location was in the park garden. “Aerie!” I shouted. I found dancing barefoot in the fountain with Adam2. “Aerie!” I sighed with relief.

She was happy – laughing and smiling. Aerie kissed Adam2’s cheek. “I’ll be right back,” She smiled. Aerie climbed out of the fountain and embraced me. “He said he loves me,” She giggled.

I hated to break the news to her, but it was better she found out now. It was night, no one was around, and I was here in case she glitched.

“Aerie, that’s Adam2. The Adam who really loves you is back at the dance – trying to find ghosts actually.”

Aerie looked at the concrete floor. “How long have I been with Adam2?” She whispered. Adam2 was coming out of the fountain. “Adam says two days,” I said. Adam2 nodded. “He went to build a giant omelet!”

Adam and Chase ran to the park. “I got your text about Aerie!” Chase shouted. The two stopped running as we turned to face them. “Oh my god there is two of them,” He sneered. Aerie turned to Adam2. “You said you loved me.”

“I do! I know it only took me two days to love you, but trust me – it’s real!” Adam2 said. Adam put his hand on Adam2. “I love me, but that’s my girlfriend!”

“Chill out, me,” Adam2 said. Chase pulled out a remote. Adam snatched the remote and zapped Adam2. The clone disintegrated.

Aerie crossed her arms. She felt alone and weak. “So I’ve been spending my night with Adam2,” She whispered. “Aerie, I was away. I didn’t know about the dance or anything,” Adam said.

Aerie slapped Adam. Luckily Adam was super strong, but then again so was Aerie. She slapped him hard enough to break a human’s jaw.

“I never want to see you again, Adam,” Aerie cried. She sprinted off faster than light. “I have to go after her,” I said to Chase. He nodded. “Be safe.”