Part One

"ERIN!" Abby yells at me, almost causing me to jump out of my seat. My eyes snap away from the amazing view of a certain blonde engineer working and dancing in the lab.

"Oh, my god, Abby, you scared the crap out of me!"

"I've said your name like four times, Erin. You have got to tell Holtzmann how you feel about her. You were completely zoned out just then, staring at her. It's getting kind of creepy."

I look back across the room where I was staring. Holtzmann is leaned over her workbench with her yellow tinted goggles pulled over her eyes, soldering something to a new weapon she's almost finished. She's looks so beautiful...

"ERIN!" Abby yells again.

"Sorry! She's just so.... distracting."

"Erin, seriously, you need to tell her how you feel." Abby looks down at me, standing next to my desk where I was supposed to be working. Instead, I guess I was staring for who knows how long.

"I can't, Abby. If she doesn't feel the same way about me, it'll just make things awkward." I pick my pencil up and look at the blueprints Holtz gave me. She was wanting me to look it over and give her some pointers on her equations, but I keep getting distracted.

"You haven't even tried. How are you ever going to know?" She raises questioning eyebrows at me.

"I guess I won't. But at least right now I can come to work everyday and enjoy her flirting and teasing. Besides, I know she can pretty much get any girl she wants, and does so often. So why would she want someone like me?"

"What do you mean someone like you? What's wrong with you?"

"You know I'm not her type, Abby. I've seen some of the girls she's been with; tattoos, dark makeup, short skirts. The opposite of me."

"Erin, Holtz hasn't been serious with anyone since I've known her and quite possibly ever. She flirts with everyone, yeah, but she has only consistently flirted with you. And I've noticed that the amount of girls she's flirting with has continued to lessen since she met you."

I look across the room at her, head bopping to the beat of some 80's pop song on the radio, tinkering with her tools. It's amazing how someone can look so sexy doing the most mundane and normal things. Working, eating, even sleeping.

"I think she would've asked me out by now if she was interested. She's not shy about getting what she wants."

Abby rolls her eyes and scoffs. "Whatever you say, Erin. I actually came up here to see what you want for lunch. Patty and I are gonna run down to that little deli down the street."

"Oh. Um, just get me one of those Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches."

"Holtz!" Abby calls across the room at the engineer, who shuts off her blow torch and turns down the radio.

"Yeah?" She yells back.

"You know, you could go in there and ask instead of yelling," I mumble, chewing on the pink eraser on the end of my pencil.

"What do you want from the deli?" Abby shouts.

"Meatball sandwich!" The engineer answered.

"Okay!" Abby turns back around to face me and smirks. Holtzmann turns her music back up and continues where she left off. "We'll be back in a little while."

With that, she turns and goes downstairs to meet up with Patty. I look across the room again at Holtzmann and decide to go see what she's been working on.

When I get close to her workbench, she looks up from her soldering and smiles. "What's going on, hot stuff?" She asks, causing a shade of pink to spread across my cheeks.