Chapter 1 - My New Home

I try to zip up my suitcase, but there are way too many items inside. I sigh, open the suitcase, squish everything down, and try again. It's still hard, but I finally did it. I did the same with all my other suitcases. I stand up and take one last look at my room with pink painted walls and empty shelves. This was my home for 18 years. It's pretty hard to believe that I'd never see this room again, and I hope I don't. It holds a lot of memories, but seeing this room again means I'd have to come back to this house. I wasn't going to do that. Ever.

I walk to the bathroom and make sure I have everything out. I check the cabinets, under the sink, and the shower. Hey, that stuff was expensive okay! I take one last look in the mirror. My honey brown hair is brushed and perfectly parted. My outfit makes my gray eyes stand out. I push my thick, Harry Potter like glasses up my nose and smile. My eye bags stand out a bit, but I didn't care. I rarely wore makeup and wasn't necessarily known for my looks. My eyes were complimented a lot, though. You'd think gray eyes would look weird and kinda creepy, but to other people, they're "absolutely beautiful." I went back to my suitcase, grabbed my brush and a hair tie, and went back to the bathroom. I put my hair in a high ponytail. I usually wear my hair in a ponytail or messy bun, even when I'm at home doing nothing. I didn't necessarily hate my hair down, I just really didn't like it. I put my brush back in its suitcase. I went through my mental check of everything I packed. 

Medication, check

Books, check

Care supplies, check,

Light snacks... oops

I walked into the kitchen and opened the pantry. I grabbed a couple apples, a protein bar, cheese crackers, and a small bag of pretzels. I had everything packed, so I picked up all my stuff, shoved my phone and earbuds into my hoodie pocket, and grabbed my small, white stuffed bunny. My mom gave it to me when I was little and it's always been special to me, especially now that she's passed away. I let out a sigh. I wasn't going to cry, not now. In the main room, my dad was on the couch making out with some girl he probably picked up from the side of the street. I rolled my eyes and said, "Bye dad!" I waited for a response, and he finally said, "Get the fuck outta here, Annabelle. I don't want to see your face any longer than I have to." I shook my head and walked out the door. I'm used to all of his crap by now, I've lived with it for 12 years! My mom passed away when I was 6, and my dad has been abusive ever since. I'm honestly so happy I get to leave him behind. I had to walk about 6 blocks away to the nearest gas station, because I was taking a bus to the dealership. I visited about 2 months ago and bought my first car, but I wasn't going to bring it home where my dad could do anything with it. I made a deal with them that I'd be back in a couple months when I start college to actually take the car. As I walked, I could feel leaves crunch under my white converse. It was a satisfying feeling that reminded me of when I was little and liked to play in the leaves. My mom and I would always make big leaf piles to jump in, sit in, sleep in, cuddle in, anything. There's a picture of us together laying in a leaf pile and just laughing, like we were having the time of our life. Those moments I'd cherish forever. I didn't really realize how important those moments were until-HONK!

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" I heard from someone say in a car that was speeding away. The speed limit around here was 20, and there's no way he was going 20 mph. I kept walking and walking, and in no time I was at the dealership. I walked inside and set my stuff down as I grunted. The lady behind the desk smiled at me. "Hello!" She said. "Hey," I started, "my name's Annabelle. Annabelle Hendricks. I'm here to pick up a gray Volkswagen CC." She stared at me with blank eyes for about a second, then her face lit up and she smiled. "Aah yes, Annabelle. I'll call them right now to bring it out, meanwhile you can sit or look around the lobby," the lady said. I smiled and nodded my head. I looked around the lobby and saw that they had a small shelf with supplies such as air fresheners, wipes, paper towels, car chargers, etc. This is just what I've been looking for, it's perfect! I was already going to put some crackers and water in the console, and I've been wanting to put stuff like this in it too. I bought a car charger, wipes, a roll of paper towels, and an air freshener. I bought it at the front desk just in time, because when I got my bag full of stuff I saw my car out front. I thanked the lady and walked outside to my new car. It was so beautiful. Okay, maybe I'm overreacting, but come on! I've wanted a car ever since I got my driver's license and I'm finally getting one. The first thing I did was put everything in the console, including the still-wrapped air freshener. I didn't want to use it yet because I loved the new car smell. Before I started the car, I pulled up the University of Arizona on my phone and clicked directions. It was about a 27 minute drive from where I was. I put in an audio book and listened to it while I drove.

When I was about 2 miles away, I stopped the audiobook so I can focus on finding somewhere to park or something. I found a parking spot near the main entrance, so I parked my car. When I got out, I was sure to lock it. I walked through the doors to the front desk, told them my name, and they gave my my dorm key. I already enrolled and all that jazz a couple weeks ago. In fact, I've already bought all my college supplies. I walked back outside to my car, unlocked it, and drove around campus. I was in the freshman building, obviously because I'm a freshman in college. I found a parking spot right by the entrance. Perfect.

I grabbed all my bags and walked inside. I was in dorm 431, so I went up the first set of stairs and down the hall. My dorm was about in the middle of the hallway. I unlocked the door and stepped inside. To my left was a bed, shelf, and desk that were already decorated. On the other side was the same exact thing, except the bed had a bedside table. Straight to the right and next to the empty shelf was a door, and I'm guessing it leads to the bathroom. I started with putting my bedsheets and comforter on my bed *check image above to see what it looks like*. 

I finally was done unpacking most of my stuff. I made my bed, put stuff on my bedside table (including my stuffed bunny), and put my stuff in the bathroom. All that was left to do was to organize my shelf. At the very top were 2 cabinets, and everything else were shelves. I packed the shelf with all my books, organizing them in alphabetical order of the author's last name. I carefully put the framed picture of my mom and me that I was talking about earlier on the shelf as well. I left the 2 bottom shelves empty for textbooks and books I'll borrow from the school's library. 

I stood by the door to look at my side of the room. It all looked so comforting. I brought it all in, realizing that this is...

my new home.