Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Percy talked to Chiron and, sure enough, I could hang with him for a day. Alright, fine. But I wasn't about to get attached to a camp. I don't like to be confined to a certain place. The next day, before I could slip into the forest, Percy pulled me aside. "Do me a favor. Come by my place. Sometime this August. Before school starts." 

"I can do that. But I really need to go," I said and slipped my arm out of his grip. "Bye, Percy." I walked into the woods and slipped into the shadows. I came out in a corner of Sally Jackson's living room. I hated to drop in on her unannounced, but I had promised her. 

"Sage?" she called from the kitchen. "Is that you?" 

I walked slowly into the kitchen and leaned on the door frame. "Yep. Hi, Ms. Jackson." 

She took one look at me and sighed. I didn't look malnourished anymore and most of my bruises from the battle were already fading. I didn't have that sick pallor to my face anymore. A couple days fighting in the sun can do wonders for your complexion. I still had scars but they weren't all that bad. She came forward and gave me a hug. I hugged her back. It felt great to have a mother figure in my life again. 

"Oh, sit down, please," she said and gestured to a chair. I sat on the edge as she sat and surveyed me. 

"I only stopped by to check in. See I didn't lie. I did get better. Fresh air and sunshine. And care", I said smiling. "Thank you." I took her hand. "When is Percy's birthday? August something, isn't it?" 

"August 18th. Why?" she asked, narrowing her eyes ever so slightly, with that inquisitive motherly look. 

"He told me to drop by and visit sometime in August. Can I stop by for his birthday?" I asked tentatively. "I didn't want to drop by if I wasn't welcome." 

"Of course. I won't tell him either. It'll be our surprise." She laughed. 

I stood up and backed towards the door. "I'll be off. There are some things that I need to take care of. But don't worry. I'll be back." I smiled and melted into the shadows.

I wandered around picking up intel on Kronos's army. I almost lost track of the days. I practiced my swordsmanship. I was pretty good now. But August 18th rolled around and I remembered my promise to Percy and his mom. I slipped in through his bedroom window that night. It was a place full of shadows! Don't judge! It makes shadow travelling easier! And I didn't want to scare everyone there. I had my sword on my hip and black clothes on. I felt more comfortable in dark clothes. It's a Hades thing (don't you dare call me Goth!). I don't expect you to understand. 

I stepped out of his bedroom and leaned against the wall. I waited for him to notice I was there. He saw me after about two minutes of me being there. He ran forward and gave me a hug. "You remembered," he whispered in my ear. 

"Of course I did." I pulled back and looked at him. "So...Fifteen. Your nine days older than me. Congrats." 

He pointed to my sword. "You want to leave that in my room? I don't want to freak Paul out." I nodded and unhooked by sword from my belt. I dropped it on his bed and came back out to the party. All the food was blue. Not a problem with me. 

We laughed and joked and had a good time. After a while, I slipped, unnoticed, into his room, belted on my sword and stepped out onto the fire escape. I ran right into Nico. 

"What were you doing in his room?" Nico's tone was accusatory. 

"I came to the party and this is a convenient escape. And I had to get my sword. It was on his bed." I winked. "You. Why are you here?" 

"Need to talk to Percy." Nico leaned against the side of the building. He was as tall as me now and wore dark torn jeans. 

I ruffled his hair. "Be careful, little bro." I walked towards the shadows in the corner. "I'll be seeing you. Tell Percy I said bye. Tell him I'll be around." I nodded and slipped into the shadows. I emerged in my father's gardens. I sighed. I'd be back. I couldn't leave Percy forever. I'd see him soon. Real soon.

**************************************** 

A/N 

Yay! Happy Birthday, Percy! I wonder what will happen to Sage. You can find out in the next book. There is no definite release date for the first chapter but I promise it will be there soon. I haven't decided on a title but it will be based off PJO: Last Olympian. If you have ANY suggestions please leave them in the comments! Thanks so much for reading and sticking with Sage until the end!