childsplay 0.1

you know that feeling when you're just walking around the supermarket and you see something and it suddenly brings back a memory-most likely a memory of someone.
it seems so ancient now that you properly think about it. but she was someone you met long ago. around the age of 11 years old, she was in your middle school class.

you weren't really the social butterfly and not many people were your friends, or knew you existed, but the two of you randomly clicked one day, and eventually she became your best friend.
you were like partners in crimes- breaking laws with the encouragement of each other, although such a young age.

( "what's up y/n!" she jumps, slapping your back. " hey ken" you smile at her, "i brought it." you say biting back a smile, you watch as her face lights up. " really?!" she says laughing. you raise your hand to go to the toilet and kendall follows out with you.
the both of you huddle behind the toilet area where no one would be. then you reach for your pocket and a packet of cigarettes appears in your palm. you pinch out one of the cigarettes and kendall hovers the lighter over the object and it catches aflame. the two of you stare at each-other both in awe and anxiety. the question should we running through your heads. you gulp and indulge in the thin cylinder. the smoke circuiting in and out of your lungs then leaving your lips. kendall stared at you, laughing whole heartedly.
"oh my go-" you interrupt by placing the cigarette between her lips. she blushed. the smoke that floated in front of the two of you, was the only thing that stopped you from kissing her.")

the thing was you loved her so much. you just loved how her cheeks turned rose at nothing. you loved how she laughed at whatever you did and say. you loved how her facial features were so soft and screamed out kiss me, and you really wanted to.
but you just never did.

you walk past the isles of walmart and stop at the cigarette isle. the same isle you stop at almost every week. there is no addiction because you're not crazy. but then you are crazy for buying cigarettes because it reminds you of someone.
you pick out the same brand you usually pick, marlboro.
the same one you smoked 10 years ago with her.

" $10.00 please" the feminine voice spoke.

you reach for your pocket and slid the creases open to see nothing; empty pockets, no money. crap.
you look up at the girl and smile sheepishly, then you recognise those features.

the same rosy lips that opened for you. the peachy cheeks that blushed for you. the same mousy eyes blinking back at you and you turn away, afraid she'll notice it's you, but you knew for sure that she knew that you knew who she was.

you take a deep breath. eyes glued to the floor as you began to speak, trying hard to keep your voice level.

"could you book that for me?"

"i might as well pay for it," says the girl.

" look, i just, i'm not trying to make things awkward." you say, scratching your neck; a habit you did when things got awkward.

"why can't i shout a old friend?" she says leaning over the counter, her head on her hands.

"because.."
you knew you were rambling on about nothing and soon you admitted defeat. she scoffs in return.

"right." you eyed her as she smiled wan. "well, since i payed, come with me to get coffee. my shifts over in 30 minutes"

you open your mouth to argue but then nod firmly.
the girl did pay for those expensive as cigarettes.

"um. . . see you then" you rush out of that section, in hopes to never see that girl again after coffee in 30 minutes.