Chapter 8

(A/N: Just as I'm about to post this chapter, I see that this story has reached a whopping 220 reads!!! I'm honestly so damn proud of myself and happy beyond belief! Hell, I didn't think this story would get past 10 reads, and now here I am! Thank you all so much, especially to the ones who have been sticking with this story as long as you have. I love you all so damn much, more than you will ever know. Alright guys, enjoy the story! :) - Athena <3)

"And milk started coming out of his nose!" Dick laughs, causing me to laugh as well. Curt can be such a dumbass sometimes. "We still don't know why!"

"And this happened when he was asking her out?!" I giggle, picking up a fry and dipping it in some ketchup.

Dick chuckles and nods, doing the same. "Yup. That girl didn't talk to him for the rest of the year."

"Poor Curt," I giggle softly, shaking my head. Dick and I have been passing stories and asking questions back and forth as people from other tables glance at us. This is probably the most fun I've had in a long time, even though I've been getting glares from random people all day. "At least him and Emily are dating."

"Alright, alright. Enough about Curt's love life. Your turn," Dick chuckles taking a sip of his drink.

I ponder for a few moments before giggling to myself softly. "I was a freshman in high school. Ready for my audition for the school musical, so damn ready. I've never been more ready in my entire life. What was it?...ooh! It was The Little Mermaid. So, I get up on stage, about to sing my first notes. And you know what happens? Some guy comes running on stage, his pants wet with piss-" At this point, Dick bursts out in laughter. I laugh with him, yet start slicing my hands in the air so I can calm the both of us down. "Okay, okay, okay! This kid pissed his pants and he screams, 'Am I on? Am I late?' and I burst into tears!" I can't help but laugh throughout my sentence. My stomach starts to hurt. "To this day, I have no clue why I just randomly started crying! I ran off that stage so damn fast."

Dick chuckled and leaned onto the table more, his forearms digging into the wood. "Did you try out next year?" I shake my head. "Why not?"

"I-I um...I have stage fright. Always have, always will."

"Why did you want to audition then?"

"The only way to conquer fear is to confront it, right?"

A small smile graces his lips at my words. "Right. That's awfully brave of you, Kris." I shrug lightly and look down. "Wait...that means you can sing."

Oh shit.

"D-Don't...I-I'm not even that good."

Dick grins, paying no attention to my pleads. "Will you sing to me?!"

My cheeks flare brightly as I shake my head ferociously. "N-No, Dick, I-I-"

"I bet you sound wonderful!"

"Dick!" My voice is slightly shaky and my hands quake in my lap. Just thinking about performing makes me want to throw up. "I-I haven't...I-I haven't sung in a very long time. Everyone would just...laugh at me."

I hear Dick sigh softly as I fiddle with my quaking thumbs. I pick at the edges of my nails as I attempt to slow my rapid heartbeat. "No one would-"

"You'd be surprised," I interrupt him softly.

The screeching of wood scraping against wood. Quiet, yet heavy footsteps. A tall shadow that soon scrunches down to my height. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable at all. I didn't know your stage fright was this bad." His large hands cover mine before squeezing them lightly. "If you are ever ready to open up that part of you, I'll be here in case you fall. Just like in the roller rink. Okay?"