❄10

❄10

            Trailing the tips of my fingers down the side of her arm, I sigh.

            It’s been nearly three days.

            Aside from the glass cuts on her hands, she was perfectly fine. The doctor said that it would just take a few days for her to recover from the shock.

            Careful to avoid her bandaged fingers, I trail my finger back up her arms, spelling out the words:

            I love-

            I stop short, my fingers freezing-prohibiting me from finishing the sentence.

            Did I really?

            Did I really like her this much after so little time?

            It was foolish to fall this hard, this fast, but somewhere between the days spent huddled in a lonely house, I had somehow fallen in love with Noel.

            Maybe it’s because I was lonely. Maybe it’s because before Noel came along, I was just a lonely boy struggling to carry the burden of Christmas on his shoulders.

            Regardless of it all however, somewhere between the days spent cutting down Christmas trees and building snowmen, I had managed to fall in love with Noel Yule.

            Heaving a heavy sigh, I shove a hand into my hair, messing it up more.

            I was lost.

            It scared me just how lonely and lost I felt without Noel.

            I had spent so much time by Noel’s bedside, my fingers memorized every curve, every scar, every little imperfection coasting her arms and face.

            She was beautiful.

            Dropping my head onto my arms that are resting on the bed, I lace my fingers with Noel, preparing for another restless segment of sleep.

            ~*~

            Noel POV

            I can hear the quiet buzz of a fly in the air before I even fully register that I am waking up.

            My fingers clench automatically, feeling empty air.

            I inhale deeply, the smell of sharp peppermint and cinnamon lingering in the air.

            Everything screamed absence-

            As if someone who had stayed the entire time just left.

            It was a feeling-the aura of empty space-that sent the goosebumps up my arm, the feeling of longing immediately hitting me hard.

            I open my eyes, the golden, decorated ceilings still the same.

            I was in the same room I stayed at when I first got here. There was still the quiet tick of the clock by the corner, the murmuring whoosh of wind against the windows, and the quiet roar of the fire.

            Within the next fifteen minutes of me just staring-observing the room, the doctor finally came in.

            He asks me questions and I nod yes or no, not wanting to vocalize the fact that only thing that hurt right now was the little ache in my chest.