''He's gonna make it,'' Courtney counters, a whine appearing in her tone while her lips twitched into a sneer.

''He hasn't made it from the first two rounds.''

Their conversation was cut short when the crowd let out an unpleasing, ''Awe.''

''What happened?'' Devin looks around.

Courtney waves her off with a small subtle shake of her head. ''He missed.''

''He's usually the best of the best.''

Tired of the whining, tired of the negativity, Devin takes a stand and cheers on, ''Woo! Let's go, Number Twelve!''

Courtney looks up at her and giggles, ''What are you doing?''

She drops her arms to the side breathes out, ''School spirit, right?'' She turns back towards the field where Number Twelve; Jeff Atkins turned towards the crowd with a smile smile, scanning for a face to match the cheer.

She surrounds her mouth her hands and shouts, ''Come on, Twelve! You're so swell! Hit that ball and make them fall!''

The audience applaud her with cheers of encouragement, whistles and laughter.

''Get it, girl!''

''There's no cheerleaders in baseball,'' One of Courtney's friends pointed out matter of factly.

Courtney shrugs her shoulders. ''Now there is.'' She takes a stand repeats, ''Come on, Twelve! You're so swell! Hit that ball and make them fall!''

Courtney and Devin look at each other with matching smirks before shouting out, ''Come on, Twelve! You're so swell! Hit that ball and make them fall!''

Right after the two cheered together, another person joined in, along with another, and before they knew it, the entire crowd was chanting the same cheer Devin Greene had came up with at last second.

During the chat, Devin's voice lowered immensely into a whisper as she watched Number Twelve return in position. When the pitcher threw the ball, you could hear the ball smack the wooden bat through the crowds cheer.

''Woo!'' She cheered along with everyone else.

He was fast. The opposing team didn't have enough time to catch no one from Liberty from reaching base after base.

The buzzer went off and Devin knew that Liberty High had won the first game of the season.

× × ×

‘’Bye guys,’’ Devin waves off towards Courtney and her group, the girls returning an even perkier goodbye.

Devin leans her back against the metal fence, waiting for Jeff to appear as anyone and everyone that attended tonight’s events were heading for their cars and making it their next stop at Bryce Walker’s place.

A pair of hands tapped her shoulders from behind with a sudden, ‘’Hi,’’ being heard.

She spins around, nearly jumping out of her own skin, but smiles when she greets an ear to ear grin worthy Jeff Atkins.