Bast | The Setting Sun {2}

∆ • |Background| • ∆

I was the eye of Ra.

The rulers of Egypt bowed to me, and worshiped my followers, my cats. 

They later stopped. 

But only I am to blame for that. 

I almost destroyed them.

As the daughter of Ra, wife of Ptah, and mother of Nefertum and Maahes, I failed in my duty to my father. I was his eye, but I was also his destroyer.

In my duty to protect my father, I decimated mankind.

Old and weary, my father sent me to teach a lesson to his people. I was to make sure that they retained their respect for him, since they had not obeyed my father's laws.

But I had failed.

• • •

∆ • |Flashback| • ∆

Fire ravaged the land.

Dressed in her kalasiri and holding the eternal ankh in her right hand, she towered over the city. The people walking under her screamed. She ripped buildings off their pliable foundations with her treacherous claws. Egyptians and Hebrews alike ran, screaming from the scene and into their drab abodes.

The same scenario presented itself city to city. The chase was no longer fun.

So she screeched. The high frequency of the sound was enough to topple the brittle mud that layered their homes.

People ran like mice from the scene. Sharp fangs erupted from her snout, but she transformed herself into a vixen, with no trace of her earlier catlike features.

With gold and other precious jewels decorating her hands and neck, she strode into the crumbled home of a noble family, signified from its position along the Nile.

Her bangles tinkled as she stepped into the house. Papyrus reeds coated in dry mud sprung out of the walls. The mud bricks that made up the house were cracked.

A family was huddled in the corner of the main room. She took one look at their worthless tangibles and started to purr.

The wife started to whimper.

The husband motioned for her and his two daughters to leave the room.