A Boy Across The Hospital Room

PJ took a deep breath and relaxed on the bed. He was exhausted, all the treatments, laying in bed, never be home for more than two days before his body act strange and need to go to the hospital.

This time he had got fever, mostly other kids would have stayed home from school and would watch cartoon, but for PJ it is a life threat for him. He had an odd cancer that need more treatment than it should. He have overheard the doctors when they talked to his mom and dad that they have to be ready that one day the treatment won't be enough.

The clock ticked on the wall while PJ looked around. His room had two beds, yes he has his own room, mostly one of his parents sleep at the hospital with him so he doesn't feel completely alone at night time. PJ have never liked hospitals, and spending almost everyday at the hospital was hell.

He had no friends either, he is a little bit older than the other kids, and all the other kids is getting better while PJ is getting worser.

The room made it a little bit odd from the others room, he has been here since a little kid and they told him he could design the room, apparently they already knew he would spend most of his life at the hospital.
The room were green, light green so it doesn't get to dark at night. And his roof is covered with light stickers that are stars and planets.

When he can't sleep at nights, either it is pain or not, he like to stare up at the roof, imagine he is laying outside, on the grass on a summer night and looking up at the sky. He can look out from the window but it isn't the same feeling. Plus all the lights outside from the building make it hard to see the stars.

But mostly, PJ wished he had a friend. Spending almost all his life at the hospital have done that he has missed school, he study at the hospital. There is no one at the hospital at his age, and it is hard to get a friend who is outside from hospital if he only spends two fully days at home with his parents.

It knocked lightly on the door, PJ looked over at the clock, 14.35. Late with the food again. He sat up and a nurse opened the door and smiled at PJ.

"I see you're up," she said with a smile. "how are you feeling?"
She came in and had a trolley with her that had others food on as well.
"Good but tired," PJ said simple, it is harder to explain pain for the doctors because they can't feel and will never feel the pain that he has.

PJ saw someone behind the nurse, a boy. He had brownish hair, it was lightly brown. Blue eyes and seemed to be the age of PJ.
"Sorry it took late to come here," the nurse continue. "but you will have company today to eat with you, if thats okay."

The boy had strings up to his noses and had a big tank with him. He looked up shy at PJ and went towards the other bed.

"It is okay," PJ said and got his food and the boy got also his food.

"I will be back in a half hour and check how you feel," she said to PJ and then turned to the boy. "and we will see if the room is then done for you."

She took the trolley with her and left the room. The two boys stared at each other.

It was awkward silence between them two and they both ate their food. PJ was both excited but shy, there is now a chance to get to know the other boy, but it was such a long time ago he spoke to someone who seemed to be at his age.

"How was your food?" PJ asked, he didn't care if it was a stupid question or an awkward question. They needed to talk.

"Pretty alright," the boy said. "and yours?"
"Meh, I have eat this so many times so I have lost taste in it."
"Oh, so you have been here a long time?"
"Since I was little," PJ said and looked up from his plate over to the boy. "how long have you been here?"

"A half year," the boy said. "I will get a new room now. It is across from this room. But they weren't done with cleaning or something so after this they are probably done."

"Thats good," PJ said and nodded.
The boy looked at PJ's room. "Did you get to choose how you wanted this room?"
"Yes, I have this as my second home you know."
The boy just nodded, feared he would also have hospital as his second home.

"Do you have cancer?" PJ asked.
The boy looked at PJ and made another nod. PJ continue:
"Same with me, it doesn't really matter to know what it is. Cancer is cancer and the only different there is with cancers is how they act."

"Right," the boy said. "and it depends on the body how strong it is to defeat cancer."
PJ nodded.
"I'm Felix, it means happy," said the boy.
"I'm PJ, it means PJ."
Felix smiled a little and PJ did it as well.

"Do you think we are allowed to meet each other?" Felix asked.
"I'm sure they let us, at least if we aren't too weak to meet each other. But if you are just across the room then we will meet often."

"Good," said Felix and took a small bite of the meat. "it is always nice with some company."

They two smiled again and continued eating. PJ really hoped they could be friends before it gets more bad for himself.

I know there is a lot of different cancers, but I can't the name of them. Cancer is a big topic now to make to books or to movies. It is a subject that everyone is getting touched by.

It is good they take up cancer, if people did send more money would it go to science to find new medicine for the cancer and even for other horrible diseases.