Chapter Twelve: Re-entering

All at once Jake, To'phoro, Chloe, George, Katetheuna and Hotzeh found themselves in Larakia, in the fountain square of the city of Ayin. Of course, Jake, George and To'phoro had no idea where this was, but they found themselves there all the same.

"Er, what just happened?" said Jake. He blinked and shook his head. His cheek still throbbed.

"I don't think we're in Ubal any more, Jake..." said To'phoro.

"We were transported here on the Kingwind," said Katetheuna. "It does happen from time to time, particularly after a mission has been completed. We rescued you from the Shulites, so the One True King must have brought us back to Larakia by the express route. There is much less resistance coming back to Larakia from Dahma than there is travelling in the other direction. "

"Oh..." said Jake. "That makes...sense?"

"This One True King guy..." said George, "who is he again?"

"It's their name for God," said Chloe.

"Ah." That seemed to make things a little clearer. But only a little.

"Well my boys, welcome to Larakia!" said Hotzeh.

They took in their new surroundings. Again, they were in large city square with paved cobblestones. But instead of rivers and bridges, this one had a huge fountain at its centre.

It was just after dawn here too. And this square was also full of people who seemed to be streaming towards the fountain.

One of them noticed the new arrivals and said "Hey look, Katetheuna and Hotzeh are back! And they've brought the heir!"

Instinctively, Jake and To'phoro got ready to run and George reached for where his scythe used to be folded up and strapped to his back.

But instead of staring at them suspiciously or becoming hostile, the crowd of people did something else completely, something they weren't expecting.

The people applauded them. They clapped and cheered and whooped and hollered.

"Woohoo!"

"Yeah!"

"Well done!"

"Hooray for Chloe, Hannah, Katetheuna and Hotzeh!"

They had not realised that Hannah wasn't there yet.

"Um...why are they applauding us?" Jake asked quietly.

To'phoro started bowing to the crowds.

"Because you are the next heir to the Larakian throne, and we have rescued you," said Hotzeh.

"Oh yeah..." said Jake. "This 'heir' stuff... That's going to need some clearing up too..."

"All in good time, my boy. First you must bathe in the fountain of Ayin. Come, you must be weary. It will refresh you. You too, boys."

The crowd parted and made room for Jake, To'phoro and George to walk to the fountain. More than a little embarrassed, they made their way down the path that formed, the onlookers clapping and beaming at them all the while. They each got into the fountain, looked at each other for a moment, and then dipped their heads down under the water.

Each came up with a gasp of surprise, clothed in a new white robe. Their robes already had emblems woven into them. Jake's tattered rags and old school uniform were replaced by a robe with a knife and a golden crown embroidered onto the chest. To'phoro had a bronze spyglass. George had a bright bushel of wheat.

Chloe gasped herself when she looked down and realised that her robe, too, had changed. Across the front was now depicted the shape of a black dragon, with a silver sword running through its heart.