Her eyes flashed menacingly at my words, and I almost smiled with the satisfaction that my words were getting to her.

"Do not dare to bring my father into this!" She jabbed a shaking finger into my chest, her stare boring into my eyes with her burning anger.

"And why the hell not? The whore came to an island, slept with my mother, then left!" I yelled. She looked as though moments away from slapping me. "That asshole only came back because she was pregnant!"

Her eyes narrowed, and I almost knew what was coming next.

Without missing a beat, she swung her already balled fist at my face and struck me square in the jaw. I was thrown to the side with the force of her blow and grabbed onto the coat hook to my right, trying desperately to stay on my feet.

I pulled myself back up, leaning against the wall and wincing at the sharp stinging in my jaw and the pounding in my head. Her eyes were hardly wide enough to contain the immense shock I could see they held. I swallowed hard; I was practically foaming at the mouth.

I walked slowly towards her, doing everything I could to keep myself from hitting her back, and she began to shrink away from me. Her face was inches from mine, wearing an expression I had never seen on her: pure and undiluted fear.

"Get out of my sight," I hissed. She didn't waste a moment before turning and fleeing our barracks. A lump grew in my throat as I watched her retreating figure disappear from view.

My sister.

I stood rooted to that spot, unable to move. I was shaking. I bit my lip hard, choking back the tears that threatened to spill, that threatened to overcome my demeanor and make me collapse.

"Alex-" John started towards me but I raised a hand to stop him.

"Get some rest, John."

Your POV

I sprinted. I couldn't be in there with them. I knew what I'd done. I also knew I had nowhere to go.

I had to have somewhere.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to focus on figuring out any sort of plan, no matter how bad. It would always be better than having to face them after that. I continued sprinting away and I refused to rest until I was out of their sight. That finally happened when I reached the front of camp and leaned on the thin wooden wall of the stables, trying desperately to catch my breath.

Then it struck me. It was a long shot, but it was worth trying. The worst they could do was say no.

I turned to the stables next to me and threw open the doors before sprinting over to a rearing York.

"'ey, 'ey, settle down boy. It is just me." I reached my hand up to stroke his neck and stilled his trembling body. I walked around to his side to mount him and took off riding.

As I rode out of camp for the second time that day, I knew that nothing that night would be definite.

That was why, after I reached the right house, I nearly cried hugging Eliza when she told me I could stay with them.

"It's nothing, Y/N. Really, come on in."

I nodded as she pulled away from the hug. I wasn't hiding the fact that I was tearing up; Eliza was a blessing.

"Eliza, thank you so much," I whispered.

"Don't worry about it. Angelica and Peggy are upstairs, let me check with Father first. If he says no, just hide in my closet."

I laughed, despite my rough night.

I went back outside to wait for Mr. Schuyler's answer. York stood right where I left him, waiting obediently for me as always. I smiled and walked over to stroke his mane.