(Chapter 29) We're Doomed

2 lefts, 1 right, and 3 more left turns deep into the maze later it dawned on me that this was it. There was a good chance that I'd be dead in less than an hour.

Less than an hour and I'd be dead, and I haven't even decided if I believe an afterlife. Maybe there was no afterlife, just reincarnation. Or maybe, there was nothing. I would die and would be floating in air not even knowing that I am there. Just completely gone, nonexistent, an eternity of nothingness.

I blinked trying to get that thought out of my head. Now is not the time to have pessimistic thoughts. I sped up my pace til I was next to Minho, who was leading the group.

"Nervous?" I ask him quietly while grabbing onto his hand. If these were my last moments, I'm glad I get to spend them with Minho, and my friends.

"Yeah." He whispered squeezing my hand. "You?"

"As shuck." I agreed. "We can do this right?"

"I really hope so."

Minho turns the corner and immediately reels back, holding up his hand signalling for everyone to freeze. This could only mean one thing. Yeah, Grievers.

Speaking of Grievers, I wonder what happened to my griever friend Bob. I really hoped that he didn't die. Though I dont know why he would be dead. Grievers aren't cannibals right? I mean I guess that they could eat the weak ones, but Bob isn't weak, He's just sweet. It dawned on me that Bob may be a Bobette. I never really considered that he might be a she. How are we supposed to identify the gender? Its not like grievers have... well you know what i mean. Its not like they have the same "parts" that we have. What would I call Bob if he's a she? Bobette? Something different entirely like Susan?

"There's only a few more turns if we take these 2 out." Minho whispers. I felt bad for the people in the very back who probably couldn't hear a thing.

"I'm ready." I whisper confidently. "I don't know about you all but I'm not going back to that piece of klunk glade. I want out, I wanna go home, find my family, do something besides sit in the glade hiding all my life! I'm getting out or I'll die fighting!" I say defiantly, hoping that I helped boost some team morale, and bravery.

"Yeah!" I heard a few whispers.

Minho turned and smiled at me. I got a firmer grip on my shovel and nodded. I was ready.

Minho held up five fingers and dropped each finger until he had closed fist. Then he let out a battle cry and charged out. I shouted with him and ran out with him, the other gladers shouting and running defiantly behind.

The battle cries diminished and we're replaced with confused mutters. There weren't any grievers here.

"Minho?" I questioned my eyebrows scrunching together in confusion

"Guys run, and watch your back. They could drop on us at any moment." He whispered loudly looking around, up and down as if a he was expecting a griever to drop out of the sky, and honestly I'm also expecting that to happen.

"Chuck?"

"Yes Tamara?"

"Stay close please, I don't want you getting hurt." I tell him grabbing onto his hand tightly. Judge me if you must but chuck is like my son. An innocent boy and I don't know what I'd do if he got hurt.