Chapter One

It had been almost four months since the day Voldemort was defeated, and Hermione still felt the after-effects of the battle.

The nightmares were still frequent in their coming, and often when she found herself lost in a daydream, reality would hit her head on. She could still see the vivid images of each fallen Order member and familiar face, the mask of death the same on every one of them. 

The faces of Remus and Tonks haunted her dreams most frequently, as she often thought of the darling son they left behind. Though she knew the war had brought the destruction of Voldemort's army, she couldn't help the resentment she felt for it. Though she felt selfish for her feelings surrounding the war, Hermione had lost many things due to the destruction.

Being the best friend of the boy-who-lived was not an easy task; Hermione had been aware of that since her first year at Hogwarts. However, nothing could have prepared her for the hardships that she would face as a young adult, such as the loss of her parents, her torture at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange, or the death and carnage that she would witness within such a short span of time. No, being a friend of Harry Potter was not easy. 

About a week after the initial cleanup began, Minerva McGonagall had made it possible for all of the seventh year students to take their NEWTs, even Hermione considering that she'd been gone for the whole of the year.

Her results had been more than satisfactory, and she knew she could go anywhere she pleased or have any job she wanted. Except for one. There was only one job she could see herself doing, and without securing that position, she wouldn't be happy with anything else.

Of course, Hermione knew she could work at the Ministry alongside Harry and Ron, but if she were being honest with herself, which she always tried to be, she couldn't see herself as an auror or any other position that the Ministry could offer. 

While she dreamt of one day becoming Minister for Magic and changing the lives of the people and creatures within the wizarding community for good, Hermione knew that she both wanted and needed to make a name for herself first. And, what better a place to do this than a field that she was passionate about?

Besides, the entire wizarding world was still trying to recover from the war, and as awful as it sounded, she couldn't bare to be a part of the chaos that was the Ministry of Magic. Arthur Weasley had taken the place of Fudge after his passing and he was already improving their society. However, there were still many challenges that faced the recovery of society and many people who stood for Voldemort's army during the war that opposed the changes being made.

No, she didn't want to have an office job or become a waitress at The Three Broomsticks. She wanted to go home to Hogwarts, the only place she truly felt like she belonged.

    Ever since she was in her first year she's wanted to be the Transfiguration professor. Oh how she loved the subject, not that didn't love every subject but Professor McGonagall had taught the class with such passion that it was hard for her not to love it.

    She loved potions as well, but she'd never been as good at it as Harry, probably another reason why he was more cut out for the work of an auror than she. There had been an advertisement in The Dailey Prophet that Minerva was looking for an apprentice, which she'd promptly sent an owl to inquire about. She still had not received a response.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Hermione looked around to find herself alone. It wasn't every day that you could find The Burrow completely void of its many ginger inhabitants.

    She stood up from the kitchen table to find herself studying her reflection in the bathroom mirror. There were dark circles underneath her eyes; proof of her many sleepless nights.