But he is glad at the same time, because it is soaked with the scent of Liam's cologne and the bath gel he uses, the scent of cigarettes and the garage mixing in with it. He can almost pretend the warmth that comes from the heavy leather comes from Liam instead.

"Where is everyone?" Zayn asks, shuffling into the kitchen and finding it empty. Strange, for a Saturday morning. The scent of coffee hangs in the air, over whatever it is that makes up the smell of home -

And it makes a breath catch in his throat, the scent of Liam mixing in with his home because he hadn't realized how badly he craves for those two parts of his life to collide together.

"Shopping," Yaser tells him with a sigh, taking a mug from the cupboard. The one Safaa had made for their father when she had been little, drawing on five stick figures and a shaky I love family around it, but Zayn had claimed it as his own. "Your mother claims that you've being starved at your new place. She needs more food, or summat. Gonna send some with you."

Zayn snorts, taking the mug from him. "I eat fine. But I won't oppose taking some home."

Yaser shrugs, making a face that only ever applies to his mother when she starts fretting for no reason. "I'm not complaining. I look forward to dinner tonight."

Zayn grins, settling against the counter. He feels eased already, just from being home for a few minutes. He has another exam on Monday, and he is pretty sure he didn't do so hot on his last two the other day. Plus, his mind can't choose what it wants to think about in regards to Liam. Being something more than whatever they are, figuring out what they are, or focusing on that nag of a thought that keeps telling him his nickname is Wolfie.

It means nothing, he knows it. And he refuses to think about how Liam was born the same year as him, 1993. He absolutely refuses.

"Before your Mum gets home though," Yaser starts, frowning as he turns towards Zayn. "What's this I hear about you having a boyfriend?"

Zayn feels his face go hot immediately, and it isn't from the steam of the coffee mug he hides behind. "I dunno."

Yaser looks amused, quirking up an eyebrow at him. "Your sister ratted on you, I'm afraid."

Zayn sighs, rolling his eyes as he sets the mug down. He doesn't quite like talking about relationships with his parents, because Yaser always teases and his mother always frets, and it makes him feel embarrassed. They bicker sometimes, Yaser telling Tricia to back off and leave Zayn alone, Zayn's mum swatting Yaser on the shoulder when he makes Zayn's cheeks burn too much.

"She thinks I fancy my roommate, Liam."

"Liam," Yaser repeats, grinning behind his mug, eyes bright with humor. "So if I ask Harry about Liam he will say -"

"No," Zayn blurts, face crumpling as he frowns at his dad. He isn't actually sure if he would, but knowing him, it is very likely and he regrets saying his name.

Yaser laughs loudly, clapping Zayn on the shoulder and the sound soothes him but not enough to ease the heavy thump of his heart against his sternum, thinking about Liam meeting his father.

"I want to meet him," he says.

"Baba," Zayn complains, clenching his eyes shut, even though he doesn't mean it. He just knows Yaser will try to scare Liam just for fun, just to see how flustered Zayn will get and to make Waliyha giggle at him because those two always team up against him.

"What? Sounds like a good guy."

Zayn narrows his eyes at him as he laughs loudly, his hands going up in defense. "Harry might have ratted you out too. But I promise, I didn't pry."