Two | Apprentice

He remembered the day he agreed, to be her assistant, her apprentice.

"If you disagree, you'll have no other place to go. So please, at least stay for a while."

Those words echoed in his mind as he prepared their morning tea. He smiled to himself. He glanced at his sword that was leaning against the storage chest. Even with his sword as the only thing he remembers, Kai doesn't mind. It's been three months ever since he's stayed here, and it's a place he could call 'home'.

"Morning.." Runa greeted with a yawn as she came down from the staircase. Kai chuckled as he placed the teapot and the cups. "Morning. Were you working late last night?" He asked. "You can say—" She yawned again. "—but we'll have a visitor tonight."

"A visitor?" Kai narrowed his eyes. Even after three months, he's never experienced or have visitors before. Though Runa left the house at least once or twice, not even a single stranger has stepped inside.

"Well, it's an old acquaintance of mine. She'll be coming at night so don't worry about it." She grinned as she sat in the dining table. Kai sat across her. "When we first met, you didn't remember anything, right?" Runa asked and took a sip of her tea. "Yes," Kai replied. "Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. I have my suspicions about something." Kai raised a brow. Runa is sometimes mysterious.

"Anyways, any plans for today?" Her face changed from mysterious to happy. Kai shrugged. "Maybe potions?" He suggested.

"We did that two days ago. Potions are getting boring now!" She pouted. "Why not spells?" Kai suggested again. "Sure, but you're an amateur. But it shouldn't be hard to teach you, though it requires a lot of complexity." Runa crossed her arms.

And then, silence broke in. They both thought about what to do. Mostly their ideas came in quickly, and they would agree on it. "How about...something new?" Runa snapped her fingers. Kai tilt his head. "Something new?" He asked.

"Yup! Something we haven't done before. And besides—" She paused and pointed at his sword. Kai looked at the direction she pointed. "—I haven't see you use your sword before. Let's try some weapons today!" She said finally. Kai looked at her for a second and nod with a smile. "Okay.."

Kai waited outside while holding his sword in one hand. He wondered why he remembered the sword and nothing else. "Sorry to keep you waiting!" Runa came in running as she held a crossbow and arrows. She placed it down to the ground. "Alright! Let's see how you'll do." Runa swung her hand to the air and mumbled some spells. The ground started shaking, and scarecrow-like minions started coming out of the ground.

Kai took his sword out of the scabbard and positioned himself. "Now your job is to eliminate all these puppets as much as possible." She demanded as she placed her hands to her hips. An unfamiliar smirk curved in his lips. "Done." He muttered.

He started running at one of them. He lowered down as the puppet looked down on him, and finally he took the chance to push his sword through it's chest. The puppet fell backward to the ground, and turned to ash. Runa widened her eyes in surprise. Every move that he made amazed her. But at the same time worried her.

When she saw Kai in combat, it was as if Kai was someone else, someone she never knew. Everytime Kai defeated a puppet, a new one would appear from the ground. And everytime he defeated a puppet, she heard him...laugh. A small laugh. His sword would pierce through the puppet or cut it in half and once he did, a small laugh came out of his lips.

As Runa watched, she hesitated. Her hands were sweating and the number of the puppets appearing from the ground were decreasing. Should I stop, she thought to herself with her eyes narrowed. But watching Kai like this was so uncomfortable and finally she thought, There's no other choice.

Before Kai could launch his sword into a  puppet, Runa held his shoulder. "Kai," He heard her and halt. "That's enough." She demanded. The puppet fell to the ground and was swallowed by the earth like quicksand. Kai dropped his sword and clapped his hand to his eye.

"I.. I'm sorry.." He said, turning over his shoulder with regret. Runa curved a small smile and let go of his shoulder. "It's okay. You did well, but you have to control yourself from now on. It's dangerous." She warned. Kai gave a slight nod. She sign in relief and stretched her arms. "Ah, I'm hungry~" She said. Kai chuckled. "Then, I'll make—"
"No! I'll make it!"
"H-huh?"
"You heard me. I'll make lunch!" Runa snapped. Kai blinked. "Um, o-okay.." He replied awkwardly.

She grinned with satisfaction. She turned her back and started walking back to the house. But after a few steps, Runa stopped. She turned over her shoulder and said, "Take a nap for now. You'll need it."