An Awkward Silence

A/N

So... Here we go! Awkward Silences Await You!

Obviously I don't have an editor, so if you see mistakes please inform me:)

You are all my clam fam! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James held Elizabeth in his arms once again as the trudged up the Nassau street, both of their faces remaining expressionless as they moved. She shifted uncomfortably in his arms, eager for the moment when she would be free of his uncomfortable grasp. Keeping her eyes on the ground she tried not to make eye contact- all she would see would be the heartbroken look in his eyes and it would surely break her heart as well. Elizabeth had no idea she had meant that much to a lad such as him, in fact she had been greatly surprised at the amount of affection he showed.

He hadn't spoken a single word since they had left the Jackdaw and it was slowly killing the brown haired girl in his arms. James held that perturbed sort of expression on his lips, similar to the one he had shown when they had that deep conversation aboard the Jackdaw when sailing back from Kingston.

And like before- the silence was slowly killing her.

She hated seeing him like this, she really did. And knowing that it was her who caused this sort of pain didn't bode well with her either. Elizabeth suppressed a long sigh, wondering if she should speak up... Or tell him the truth.

She really did want that kiss, though she was always to stubborn to confess it to herself. The pain that Nathaniel had caused though... What if James ended up the same way. So many aspects of the lad now reminded her of what Nathaniel had been- before he started beating up on her.

Stealing a quick glance at the tanned man, she saw that his expression hadn't change. He held a solemn face with his lips pulled back in a thin line, he didn't spare a glance anywhere but straight ahead.

Elizabeth dared to speak a word.

'James,' she finally mumbled, looking up at him quickly and then back at the ground. 'Please say something. I-'

'There's not much to say, lass,' he spoke simply, not sparing a glance in her direction. He seemed quite upset with her, and Elizabeth didn't like that at all.

'I really am sorry...' It was all she could manage to say before they dove back into a impenetrable quiet. She almost couldn't handle it.

So James continued to walk with Elizabeth bundled in her arms while the girl searched for something to say- anything really. Though there was only one thing that came to her mind.

'James,' she mustered again. 'Please put me down.'

'I don't have time for ye brooding, lass,' James argued, shaking his head slightly. He continued his stride evenly.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes annoyed.

'I'm not going to brood, I just want to talk to you and it's hard to do that while you're carrying me.'

'Like I said-'

'I know what you said, Kidd. Just put me down- Now.' Elizabeth continued to grow even more uncomfortable and aggravated in his arms.

James sighed loudly before turning off the path to set the girl down upon a log.

'What,' he snapped, placing his hands upon his hips, that perturbed look not leaving his facial expression.

Elizabeth took a deep breath before forming her words and taking a moment to think before she actually spoke.

'I just wanted to apologize. It's obvious that you're in some kind of distress that I caused but-'

'It's obvious?' James scoffed, rather unhappily. 'You know I only kissed you because I thought you wanted it as much as I!'

'Well you thought wrong!' Elizabeth argued, her expression growing hard.

'Oh really?!' James threw his hands up in the air- his accent flaring as he grew more and more angry. 'Says the young lass over here who fed into it!'

'What?! I was drunk- And it was your doing-'

'Yet you walked me home perfectly fine.'

'I guess you can't take rejection very well, right? Nobody turns down the James Kidd!' She snarled, looking straight at him.

'Now you know that's not true, lass!' he hissed slowly.

'Oh, really! You're so charming- How do I know you don't do this with every girl you meet!'

'You're the only girl!'

'Uh huh, okay- And how am I supposed to believe that!'

'You know,' James raised an eyebrow before looking back down at Elizabeth. 'Why are you turning this all on me? I bet it's yourself who won't let you admit that you enjoyed it!'

Elizabeth's blood boiled as she stared at the man standing in front of her. She clenched her teeth together as she stared at him- and she was only growing angrier because it was true.

'You know what, James,' Elizabeth hissed. 'You're exactly right. You know I was married to Nathaniel, right? He was the one standing here giving me the spiel on how he'd never ever hurt me or break my heart- yet still, look at me. That same man did this.' Elizabeth motioned to the various bruises and the ring around her neck. 'So, excuse me, if I'm not interested in this romance you've created in your foolish head.'

Both of their expressions softened at similar moments as they both stared at each other. Taking in Elizabeth's last spoken words. James took a seat besides her, his back up against the vine covered side of a yellow house. He just looked over at her.

'I- I'm sorry-' Elizabeth spoke first, cooling herself down as she stared at him.

'No, lass. I understand- I was being a jerk, I should've-'

'No, you weren't doing anything wrong...'

The two of them just sat there, enveloped in an awkward silence as they stared at the people pass them by in the street. There seemed to be almost no hope for their conversation when James finally spoke up.

'You know I'm not like him, right?' James asked softly, his accent calming down as he spoke. 'I would never lay a hurtful finger on ye.'

'That's exactly what he said too,' Elizabeth whispered, plucking at the fabric of her brown pants. 'He said the same thing over and over and over again- yet he never changed. Not once.'

James looked over at her slowly, before hesitantly placing an arm around her shoulder. Elizabeth tensed slightly under his touch, but relaxed slowly when she realized that he wouldn't hurt her.

'Look, lass, I know ye had a tough life- But not every... lad you meet is like that.'

'I know, I know,' Elizabeth sighed, wiping a hand over her forehead. 'I just... I need time... I-'

'Shh, I understand- and I'll give ye your time. Don't you worry now.'

Elizabeth smiled softly while glancing over at the man besides her.

'For the record- I did enjoy the kiss.' Elizabeth's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as the words escaped her mouth.

'I know you did.' Kidd winked before removing his arm from around her neck and standing up. 'It was painstakingly obvious.'

Elizabeth stuck her tongue out at James Kidd before preparing herself to be swept into his arms once again.