14 - Cheater Cheater, Pumpkin Eater

Start from the beginning

The seniors graduate in three days, leaving the rest of us with a week left of school after that.

"Hey, Sky," a deep voice calls as I walk past it. I turn, interrupting the flow of traffic. It's the cute senior guy from my Marketing class, Patrick Haw. He smiles widely, a sparkle in his dark blue eyes, and hollers as he walks backwards down the hallway, "You're coming to my party Friday night, right?"

I grin, "Wouldn't miss it!"

It's the annual Seniors-Are-Done-With-School-So-Everyone-Get-Wasted party. I went last year when I was going through my rebellious party phase. The phase never really stopped, I guess, but I definitely went out less.

I'll go if Lina and Cora do, I decide. Or if Oliver does, my brain adds as an afterthought.

An elbow to the rib causes me to whip to my left with an "Ow." Park gives me a cheesy smile and merges next to me in the flow of students.

"I'm famished," he says, throwing an arm around my shoulders. "I'm praying the lunch menu has pizza today."

I smirk. "I'm just praying it doesn't serve that rancid meatloaf from last week."

He winces. "Yeah, that was rough. Still getting over that one, if you know what I mean," he says, patting his stomach.

"Gross," I laugh as I shrug his arm off me. I give him a side glance as we walk down the hall. He walks with a laid back, cocky attitude, a constant grin on his face. We haven't talked about what almost happened at the beach a week ago - how he almost kissed me. I haven't even really let myself think about it.

He turns to meet my eyes and I glance down quickly, so he doesn't see me staring.

Park is my best friend, I remind myself. Park, who I grew up loving like a brother, could not possibly want to be more than that, could he?

I shake the thought from my mind as we all flow through the cafeteria doors, entering a room lined with rows upon rows of tables. My flip flops smack against the linoleum as I head to the back corner, Park trailing me. We pass groups of screaming teenagers, a few couples making out, and a kid strumming a cello. The noises of high school.

Lina's red hair is a beacon that guides me in the direction of my friends. The table is crowded, only two chairs left in the middle for Park and I.

"Hey Sky!" Cora yells as we approach the table, and Park fist bumps a few guys as he heads to his seat. I dump my bag next to mine and plop down.

"School is so pointless," I sigh.

Cora nods and rolls her eyes from across the table, swirling a perfect lock of blonde hair around her finger. "Today in Monroe's, we sat and talked about toothpaste. Toothpaste." She rolls her eyes again. "Like puh-leeze, if you're going to waste my time, can we at least talk about something interesting, like Beyoncé having twins, or something?"

Cora nods in agreement, sipping from a soda can. "I fell asleep in first and third hour. Summer, please come faster."

The table wobbles and I look down at the end, where two jersey-clad boys just finished an arm wrestle.

"Screw you, Red," Kyle, our school's running back, chides. He just lost to wrestling star, Justin Young. "Come on - again. Best two out of three."