Chapter 23

"Mute, you wanna handle this?" Snap asks.

She cups her chin between her thumb and index finger while her eyes look to the sky, pondering the idea. She snaps her fingers and points upward, like she just grabbed hold of one of her schemes. She lifts her hands, and the men's guns float into the air. They jump back in awe.

"G-g-ghost!" Clayton screams.

Mute raises her other hand and their shirts rise and wrap around their heads. She drops both hands, quickly, and their pants fall to their ankles. I try to cover my eyes. I'm sure it would be a sight that would scar me for life. The two men struggle to walk and bump against watch other, falling and squirming to uncover their faces. Mute points and slaps her knee with her hand, smiling and silently cackling at them.

"A tad bit cold today, huh, loves?" Aroma teases.

We all erupt with laughter and turn back on our path. After all we've gone through, the world is going to have to throw more than that at us if it wants to keep us down. That's what it feels like, like that world is trying to keep us from moving on. Together, we can, and will, overcome anything that is thrown at us. I don't care what Eden says; I am strong and so are all of them.

It seems like a shorter trip making it back to the train tracks from whence we came. Hopefully, the shining sun is some kind of good omen that the worst is behind us. That's what I'm trying to tell myself, anyway. I hear inaudible chatter gnawing at my mind. She's still trying to get to me. I can tell she really wants out. I can't blame her, trapped in my head for possibly my whole life. She has to learn; I am in charge. I'll let her out only when I need her, and no more than that.

"Snap, you have never really told us about your wife. I am so curious to meet her," Aroma says.

Snap's face lights up. There's that smile again. His family must bring him so much joy.

"She's so gorgeous. Eyes that'll give diamonds a run for their money, with a smile that can lift anyone's spirits. She's so kind, and she's the woman I've devoted my life to. I can't wait to get my ring back on; I've felt naked without it all these years." He answers.

"She sounds simply wonderful," Aroma says.

"My son was too young to be able to remember me when I left. I can't wait to see him again. He's gotta be so big now."

Anticipation enshrouds him. I can't wait to meet his wife, too. A kind soul is such a good reminder that we are good people, we've just been dealt a bad hand.

I'm beginning to become accustomed to hours of walking. Light fades to dusk, and a loud roar comes from down the tracks, but all I can think of is that psycho is about to take over Sol again. A train is approaching rather quickly in the distance ahead of us. Snap turns to the group and nods.

"Into the trees, stay hidden and wait for it to pass," he informs.

We all move like a well-oiled machine, all picking an individual tree to hide behind. The screech of the wheels and the howl of the horn grow louder as it travels toward us at an extreme speed. The clanking of the tracks rattles my head as it passes. There's so much strength and power behind a locomotive. Any obstacle in its path will be crushed in its aggressive advance. That's something we have in common. With our attention on the train passing, Sol has turned into Luna. The train passes, and we continue down the tracks to our destination. I'm not sure what time it is, but it has to be around dinner time. Luckily, I've had my fix of water and snacks we've brought along, but I would still kill for a cheeseburger.

"We're pretty close; it shouldn't be too much longer," Snap says.

We're all visibly tired, but it'll be worth it when we finally make it there. Hopefully, no one notices us when we get there, too. I'm still confused about how they found us, but I'm sure they knew we were in the general area. Maybe they followed our footprints through the woods. In any case, it's a good thing that we're traveling on the gravel by the train tracks. I don't think we can be tracked this way.

"Through here," Snap says.

We cross to the opposite side of the tracks and scuffle through thick brush and arrive at a wooden fence. A cozy looking home lies on the other side of the barricade. Snap jumps over the wooden gate and sprints toward his home. We all take our time climbing over and through to the other side. He bursts through his front door and begins yelling his wife's name.

"Lisa! It's me, Sylar; I'm back!"

We make it to the front porch of the home and before we can enter, Snap darts out the door and to the driveway. He searches for something and energetically walks back to us.

"She's not home right now. Let's clean and make some food. She'll be so surprised. God, I can't wait to see her face again! Make yourselves at home," he says.

He hurries past us and into the house. I've never seen this much enthusiasm from this man before. I can't help but smile at it. The happiness emitted knowing you're about to be reunited with your family is so genuine. We walk in to find him, teary-eyed, looking at photos of his child. He turns to us, and this time, he doesn't even hide his emotions. He shows us the picture of his son that had to be taken somewhat recently.

"He's adorable," I say.

Mute nods, pressing one hand over her heart and fanning her face with her other. Gadget nods, awkwardly, like these emotions make him uncomfortable. Echo gives him a thumbs-up and smiles. Luna has already begun raiding the kitchen, paying us no mind. Aroma approaches him and holds another picture in her hand.

"Children are such a blessing to this world," she says. She hugs Gadget tightly, squeezing him in her arms.

"I'm not a child," he struggles to say with his torso being pressed against her.

Luna comes into the room with a bowl of popcorn and sits in a recliner, legs thrown over the arm of the chair.

"Makin' myself at home," she says as we stare at her.

Loud pops come from the outside. We look to see it's from the tires of a car rolling up the gravel driveway. It's too dark to see inside it, but judging from Snap's face, it's the car his wife drives. He rushes to the mirror on the wall at the far end of the room.

"Do I look alright!?" He asks, patting his hair and trying to pull the wrinkles out of his clothes.

"Darling, you look marvelous," Aroma assures.

The engine turns off outside, and Snap stands in front of the door, waiting for his glorious wife to come walking through. Footsteps crunch through the gravel and onto the porch. The door handle jiggles and opens, swiftly. A young woman with short brown hair enters. Her angular cheekbones perfectly compliment her brown eyes as they widen at the sight of her long lost husband. Her jaw drops like the bags of groceries she was carrying.

"Baby, I'm home!" Snap exclaims.