Chapter 11

The lights above me turn on, but I've been staring into the dim bulbs for a couple of hours now. I knew there would be no way to fall back asleep after last night. I only have one thing on my mind, vengeance. I now have the cautiousness of myself and the ambition of the voice. Nothing can stop me. The door slides open as I sit up to redirect my vision to the far wall. I don't care who it is, and I don't care what they have to say. It's all lies, all of it. Sydney rushes in and holds me, tears rolling down from her eyes. I don't break my gaze on the wall during her embrace, I hardly even acknowledge it.

"I'm so sorry. I should've been here to help the other doctors, please forgive me," she pleads.

Yeah, she should've been here. This is as much her fault as it is Vince's. It's their turn to pay; I'll make sure of it. Part of me wants to stop this way of thinking, the other part, the larger part, thinks this is how I should've been all along.

"The others are at breakfast, I'm sure you have no appetite, but you really shouldn't be alone right now," Sydney claims.

My cold expression has to be taking its toll on her. I can tell she's uncomfortable, but that's how I want her to be. She helps me to my feet and takes my hand in hers. The familiar halls feel emptier, now. They're now parallel to how I feel inside. A being devoid of emotion, soon to be awakened with the burning passion of vengeance. I face the other patients as an equal, now. The stares I receive as I walk into the cafeteria are that of empathy.

"I'll leave you to your friends," Sydney says, exiting swiftly.

She called them my friends. Well, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, I guess. One thing I don't need, though, is their pity, and my expressionless stare shows them that. Snap motions me to sit next to him, and I haven't talked to him yet, so I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. They're all sitting very close to each other, unlike yesterday. I get the feeling that Snap is the ringleader of this group of deviants. If I get him on my side, maybe I'll get them all. I sit next to him and look at the plate of stale waffles, but I have no desire to eat. Everyone, except Snap, starts to laugh and converse loudly.

"Keep your voice low and act natural," Snap commands, cutting into his food. "You're strong; I saw that yesterday. I'm not sure what last night was about, but obviously, that girl was dear to you, and I'm sorry for that. That's what they do here, break people. I've seen dozens come and go and I've seen Vince get more and more ruthless."

"I don't care what they do, all I care about is taking their lives," I say.

"Let that hate consume you, and you'll die before you get your hands on any of them. Do you know why your powers aren't working? Do you know where the exits are? Where guards are stationed or when they change shifts? We want to get out, I don't care if you're content killing as many as you can and then dying, that's on you. But if you help us, we'll help you," he insists.

I nod in agreement, even though his last line is the same Sydney used. What makes me the last puzzle piece to everyone's master plans? But at least now, my task has gotten a little easier. I'm not concerned with getting out anymore; I'm not even concerned with my well-being. This hatred that burns inside me, I love it. I welcome it with open arms to drive me forward. Snap is right, though, I can't be stupid about this. If I die, everyone else's deaths will be in vain.

"This happens tonight. After last night's events, we can't wait any longer. Today is judgment day," he says.

The ever so ominous judgment day dawn's it's face again. Only this time, I'm hours away from understanding what it is. Sol approaches us and takes the empty seat across the table. Her constant monitoring of the area would probably raise a few brows if her personality weren't already normally this suspicious. I feel a nudge under the table, a closed fist lightly tapping against my knee. She stares into my eyes and nods, slowly. My hand searches for hers away from the prying eyes of the camera. She drops something small and cold into my hand, something metal, maybe.

"Remove the cubes in your arms," she whispers. "We need you."

I can't remember the last time I felt needed. It's an inviting feeling, like I'm here for a reason. I grasp the metal piece firmly in my hand and stand to my feet. They're already done eating; it's just like me to be late with everything.

"They know you're grieving, go back to your room for a little, then meet us in the observation room. It'll look more natural," Sol insists.

The cafeteria doors creak open as I push with my still throbbing hands. This maze of corridors is starting to become all too familiar to me. My hands clench the cold steel as I wonder what it could be, but I know I can't find out until I'm in the seclusion of my room.

A stir of whispers protrudes from a nearby corridor to the right. My room is down the left hall, but I can't miss a chance to eavesdrop. They say 'curiosity killed the cat,' well, good thing I'm newly dead inside. I slide my back against the cold wall and creep slowly to the corner. The whispers have stopped, gasping for air has taken its place. I turn the corner, abruptly and my eyes lock with Vince's, grabbing Sydney by the neck, pressed against the wall. I wonder what he sees in my eyes, now. A pit of hollow darkness, where paranoia and cautiousness used to reside. I'm not even mad at what I see before me because I'm going to make sure he dies, tonight. He frees her from his grasp and scoffs at me before walking in the opposite direction. After a few steps, he stops and looks back.

"Eden, I know we got off on the wrong foot, but I'm truly sorry for your loss," he says.

He's putting on a show for Sydney, and a good one at that. My skin crawls at his audaciousness, and even more at Sydney's naivety. She wipes the tears from her eyes and expresses a broken smile.

"Just a little disagreement," she reassures.

"You know," I say, "I used to be like you. Weak. Helpless. I pity you."

My words are no longer my own. Or maybe, they're what I have always wanted to say, but never had the courage to. I can tell Sydney is shocked by my response. I don't care whether she gets it through her thick head or not, but she needs to hear the truth, just like I needed to.

"Is it weak to want to live?" She asks.

"Is it really living if you constantly fear death?" I reply, walking past her.

My mom always told me you can't help people who don't want to be helped. I'll leave her to think about her life here or lack thereof. I drag my open hand along the wall back towards my room. After inspecting the area and making sure there's not a soul lurking nearby, I slowly close the door behind me upon entering my room. The pipe still drips in a steady beat, but this time, the sound calms me.

I unclench my fist to reveal a small, metal knife. The minuscule incision on my left wrist shelters a faint, red glow. The same glow from the cube they placed in my arm, yesterday. I remember Sol saying 'cubes,' though. I unwrap the bandage on my right arm. Another small incision lies beneath, hiding the same red aura. If they want me to cut them out, there has to be a reason. After they put the second cube in, I could feel my power being entirely stripped from me. These are making me weaker; I need my strength back for whatever is to come tonight. No one will be left standing when I'm done here. Tonight, they will see what I'm truly capable of, no more holding back.