Chapter 8

Vince watches the altercation with a snide look on his face. Of course, he seems like the kind of person that loves drama. One who is always watching others from the sidelines, while never addressing his own problems. He shakes his head at the guards to his side and patiently waits for what will come next.

"Snap, I love you man, but you lost the bet! Pay up," Decoy shouts.

"You're not getting my muffin!"

All of this commotion is over a muffin? No, I know guys like them. They'll stand their ground and just say it's the principle of the matter. Guys are always so stubborn, but I guess I'm not really one to talk. Gadget slowly stands up and backs away from the bickering. He seems like a smart kid, avoiding situations like these. Vince and the guards pass money to each other. Are they taking bets on this? Shouldn't they stop this? Sydney glares in Vince's direction, and he shrugs at her. She storms out of the cafeteria, stomping her feet with each step. There goes the only chance of this ending anytime soon.

"Boys will be boys," Aroma declares. "Honestly, 'Snap' really is the perfect name for him." She rolls her eyes and continues to eat her macaroni, one piece at a time.

So, his name is Snap. If I were stuck in this place for years, I would probably snap, too. The shoving intensifies, and they roll off the table into a grappling match. It's hard to pay any attention, though, with food in front of me. They tussle and yell obscenities back and forth as they roll closer to our table. Oddly enough, the girls continue to eat, as if this fight is just another normal day to them.

The doors fling open as Sydney bolts back into the room. She holds a black phone, unlike any kind I've seen. Only one red button lies in the center of the face. She holds it outstretched by Vince's face and his expression immediately turns sour. He nods to her and then to his guards. It seems, somehow, Sydney can control this animal.

Vince and the men start toward the tussle, and a figure catches the corner of my eye. It's Gadget, huddled against the wall, making his way toward the far end of the room, near the utensils and condiments. He looks suspicious in his approach. Why is he the only one not focused on this fight? Our eyes connect, and I can almost feel the tension behind his green pupils. I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Gadget slowly raises a finger and presses it to his lips, shaking his head. He's up to something, but I won't tell. I nod and turn back to the fight, just in case Vince or his men look at me. Vince grabs Snap by the neck and hair while the guards pry decoy from his grasp, right next to our table.
"Settle down, idiots," Vince announces.

Mute grabs my arm as Vince scolds the two men. She nudges her head toward him, with his back turned, and wears a devious smile. I shake my head eagerly, I want no part of whatever she's thinking. Her eyes roll and she slowly leans down toward the floor. Mute grabs the shoestring from Vince's right shoe that was, luckily, already untied, and ties it to the laces of his left. I want to stop her, but I want to see him fall on his face even more. Decoy snickers as he sees the tumble to come.

"Is this funny to you?" Vince questions.

"Sir, no sir!" He replies, sarcastically saluting him.

My stomach is a whirlpool of doubt and anticipation. I had nothing to do with it, so I should have nothing to worry about. The tension in the room settles as my own elevates. I try to pretend like I've been focused on eating the whole time, but this facade probably makes me look that much more suspicious. The guards carry Decoy and Snap away as Gadget nonchalantly creeps back into view. Any second now, Vince is going to fall flat on his face. I can barely contain my excitement, but I force myself to wear a blank expression. Sydney and Vince exchange a few words before sharing a kiss. She walks to the door and smiles at me as she passes. Vince turns in her direction and, in an instant, loses his footing and barrels toward the ground. His head catches the side of the table, and the room erupts with laughter. Even Sydney can't force away a smirk. My face lights up, and I burst out with laughter, spitting my food back onto my plate. Vince's face turns bright red as he tries to stumble to his feet, discombobulated. Blood cascades down his forehead as he struggles to get his shoes off. The laughter halts once he regains his composure and unholsters his pistol. This is the second time today I've had a gun aimed at me. This time, though, I'm stricken with terror. The courage of the voice is nonexistent, and I can't feel my power at all. Mute stares at me, like she's not sure if she should take the blame or not. I've never really been one to rat on anyone, but I've also never had a gun to my head in the situation. He cocks the pistol, and his gaze feels like it has a hold on me. I can feel the hairs on my neck stand on end, and my arms are riddled with goosebumps.

"This is the last time you'll ever humiliate me," he boasts.

His shaky hand tries to hold the weapon steadily. I'm not sure if he's quivering with anger or fear, but either way, I'm frozen in my tracks. The voice eludes me, and my usual strength has turned to cautiousness. I can't leave Lucy alone here. Before I can move an inch, Sydney steps between the gun and me. She presses her hand on top of the barrel and pushes it toward the ground slowly. Vince doesn't even resist her action. He smiles at me and nods his head briskly. His hysterical laughter roars through the room. It seems like he's not even voluntarily chortling. I don't like this, at all.

"We should go," Sydney whispers, leaning in toward me.

I grab my last piece of steak as she guides me, by the arm, out of the door. She probably thinks it was me, and I can't blame her; I do have a clear motive. Vince obviously thought so. I can't bring myself to snitch on Mute, though. I guess I'm growing fond of the others here. Plus, I don't know what they'd do to her if they found out. I don't want anyone's blood on my hands.

"I know it wasn't you," Sydney announces, "I also don't really care who did it, so I won't ask."

"Where are you taking me?" I question.

"I want to show you something. I was going to wait, but I couldn't leave you in there with a gun in your face."

Maybe Sydney is alright. She keeps that hound at bay, and something about her makes me feel like she genuinely cares. I mean, she is kind of stuck here just like the rest of us. Having my guard up all the time is exhausting, but am I ready to endure the risks that come with being vulnerable?

We turn the corner to find a familiar hallway. The lights above splash off of the white walls, causing an annoying glare. Lucy's room is at the end on the left. My walk turns into a brisk jog as I ignore the pain biting into my ribs. I press my palms and face against the cool glass of her window. She looks so peaceful lying there. Tears fill my eyes as I look upon her. It's such a helpless feeling knowing there's nothing I can do to wake her. I just want to fix this and make it all go away, or just to wake up from this nightmare. Sydney unlocks the door and gestures for me to follow her inside. The beep of Lucy's heart monitor seems faster than last time, and the color in her face has returned. It's still not enough to stop me from sobbing uncontrollably. My heart aches and it feels like my chest could cave in at any second. I fall to my knees and press my forehead against the back of her motionless hand.

"I'm so sorry... please forgive me for getting you into this..." I plead. "Please... just wake up, Lucy, I miss you so much. Please..."

I feel a slight twitch, but I must be imagining it. My head springs up, and I take her hand in both of mine. I feel a twitch again. Her smallest finger begins to vibrate lightly. I stare up at Sydney in awe, awaiting any answer for this anomaly.

"This is what I wanted to show you," she says, smiling. "Reaction this early is a great sign leading to consciousness and a full recovery."

I wipe my tears and bring myself to my feet. The tune from Lucy's heart monitor is now a melody of happiness. I hug her as my ploy for dry eyes is thwarted. Her heartbeat sings in my ear as I'm overwhelmed with pure elation. I feel like things are finally starting to fall into place here.