Chapter 17

Chapter 17, Confrontation

Sungjae:

My head jolted in sudden pain as images in my head came rushing in. All the dreams I had when I was sleeping and when I was awake with Mari in themㅡthe dance, the kiss, the wedding. All of it.

I grasped my forehead with force and stared down at the picture again. There was no way it was photoshoppedㅡit looked way too real and I have never posed like that in any picture.

I must be going crazy. I thought.

And then I heard the sound of the door outside Mari's room when it opens and closes. I braced myself, shaking my head as if the pain would go away.

The door opened, revealing Mari who looked both exhausted and sad. Her eyed widened as soon as she saw me holding the picture in my hands.

"S-Sungjae-ah..." She called softly.

I took a deep breath. I must ask her. I can't run away from the truth forever just because I love her.

¤~¤~¤

Mari:

My heart was racing. When Sungjae looked at me with so much confusion and betrayal in his eyes, I wanted so bad to put my arms around him but I know very well that wouldn't solve everything.

The first few words that came out of his mouth were like daggers sent flying to my chest. "Who are you?" He asked.

He winced as if in pain. "What is this? What are you?"

I don't know why I couldn't make myself speak out at that moment. It was like the words I wanted to say were hanging on the edge of my tongue but not quite enough for them to be spoken aloud.

"Do you really have an amnesia?" He asked again.

And then impatiently, he raised his voice that made me jump in my place. "Why can't you answer me!"

I blinked the tears that were in my eyes. "Sungjae, you won'tㅡ"

"Then just answer this one question." He said. Suddenly, he was the Sungjae who faced my father that day when he took me out from the basementㅡdeadly, serious, and angry. If back then I felt like he was going to save me, this time, I feel like he's going to break me. "Did you lie to me about everything?" He asked.

And I shook my head repeatedly as a reply. "NoㅡI'm sorry if you thought I had an amnesia... It was just the only way I saw to be with youㅡ"

His eyes narrowed. "What?" He muttered in disbelief.

I swallowed. "I know this would sound crazy because I couldn't believe it myself at first. You're my husband. Not in this lifeㅡin the past. I  was given a second chance to be with you, only ifㅡ"

"Enough!" He yelled, tears falling from his eyes but when he looked at me, those beautiful eyes weren't warm or soft like they usually areㅡbut cold.

He got up and walked past me. Before he opened the door to leave, he said something that I knew scarred my heart forever. "You scare me."