Chapter 3

Chapter 3, Spoken Words

"You really look beautiful." He told me on our way back home.

I smiled at him, feeling shy all of a sudden and he just stared at me again with his mouth slightly open. "Woah," He muttered again. "You look prettier when you smile." He said smiling from ear to ear. I caught a glimmer in his eyes before he coyly looked down.

"T-thank you."

"Woah, you spoke. That's the fourth phrase you ever said to me."

I couldn't believe he remembered the times I've spoken.

"I'd really be happy if you could speak more." He added.

"I-I w-will try."

His eyes widened. "Oh! That's the fifth!"

Surprisingly, I laughed for the first time since I could remember and it felt good.

"Woah, Hong Mari." He said. He wasn't smiling and his eyes were kind of teary that I worried if I did something wrong.

"W-what...s w-wrong?"

He shook his head and then it seemed like he wanted to come and hug me, but he pat my shoulder instead. "I'm just happy that you're finally smiling and laughing and talking a little."

"I-it's b-because of y-you."

He seemed taken aback by my response but he smiled, a little shyly and then he turned his back on me to open the door. "Let's go in. You should try on your new clothes." He said.

I changed into a pretty sky blue dress and went to the kitchen to see Sungjae cooking dinner for both of us.

He was holding a pan in his hand and when he saw meㅡhe almost lost grip of it. He winced, accidentally touching the hot pan.

I rushed to him and in difficulty, I asked: "A-a-are y-you 'kay?"

He grinned. "Don't worry. It won't kill me."

"B-b-but..."

"Just help me. Set the table."

I nodded obediently.

»»»※«««

Sungjae and I do not write a lot to each other anymore. He said I should get used to speaking. He told me to read books out loud while he's out.

And by the passing of time, I improved my reading skill and my stuttering lessened.

On one of Sungjae's day-off, I asked him to teach me how to cook so I could do it for him.

He was teaching me how to cut onions, but my eyes stung and I accidentally cut my index finger.

He quickly ran to take something and then he treated my cut and put a bandaid around it. I stared at him, blinking, because he is too close and I could see every detail of his face so clearly like this.

He must've noticed because he looked up and then I saw his expression softened when he realized how close we were. And then he swallowed and turned his back on me again.

It's like every time I feel like a connection is forming between us, he turns his back on me and I wondered why. And I wondered how could I be feeling this way.

»»»※«««

One night, Sungjae returned home and he was crying when I went out of my room. He wiped his tears away as soon as he saw me.