The call

As soon as she picked up the call, I started asking questions. I'm silly! I stopped for a second and waited for her to speak something. "So, what made you ask questions so fast? And by the way, I'm sorry. I couldn't even understand anything you said!" 

"It's okay" was all I said. Then I continued. "You told mom about an abandoned house right?" Before she could speak anything, I started speaking again. "Could you please tell me about that house? I really wanted to know!"

"Okay. Sure!" she said. Then she continued. "I don't know much but I'm going to tell you all I know about that house. The Smith family used to live there. They had only one daughter. Mrs. Smith died just after giving birth to their only child. It's said that Mr. Smith felt that the baby girl was the cause of his beloved wife's death and hated her very much. He had so much hatred for her, that he beat her everyday. They moved to a new house some days later close to their previous house where he beat her to death."

I was eager to know who that girl was so I asked Aunt if she knew the name of her. "As far as I know, her name was Lauren Smith." I got startled when I heard the name "Lauren". "By the way, which house did you talk about right now?" I asked. "Yours" she said. It scared the hell out of me! I thanked Aunt and she hung up the call. To convince myself that Lucie's imaginary friend wasn't a spirit, I said to myself, "Don't be stupid Caroline! Lauren is a common name." After the call, My brain was flooded with questions. But for now, the questions remained unanswered. I was kind of frightened to know that Lauren died in this house. Just then mom called me downstairs asking for help related to something. When I went downstairs, she asked me to give Lucie the house tour. I showed her some rooms when she suddenly asked me to take her to the attic. I was surprised by her request because even I didn't know that we had an attic! When I asked her how she knew that we had an attic, she said "Lauren told me. She knows everything about this house." Her name started giving me chills every time. We went to the attic and saw that it was locked. Lucie had a frown on her face. She said, "I really want to see the place where Lauren used to hide." By this time, I was really annoyed. "Can you please stop telling about Lauren every time? She doesn't even exist." I said.

"She does exist and you would get to know that soon sister." She started crying and ran to her room. I guess I shouldn't have done that. I went to her room but she had locked the door from inside. I was about to call out her name when somebody whispered in my ear. "You wished to talk to me. Here I am!"