Chapter 7 ~ Kickass Barbie

I picked up my brush and slowly brushed my unfashionably long, ebony hair. I frowned, Juliet told me that I was in for an unpleasant surprise. After nearly yanking my hair out I placed the brush down without taking my eyes away from the mirror. My hand came into contact with a piece of paper. I looked at it and didn't recognise it so I unfolded it. First, I noticed scrawny, masculine writing - oh please say it isn't from Christopher. I read the note.

"Stop what you are doing or you will regret it. Be warned."

Instead of worrying, I laughed demonically and then really worried about my own sanity. I crushed the paper in my palm and turned to aim for the bin. I missed. My frown returned as I picked up the note and placed it in the bin properly. I skipped out my room - literally. I made my way towards the spare dressing rooms - where everyone who needed to be there will be.

Before me stood the Queen, my Mother, Juliet, Sydney and the Queen's ladies in waiting. I gave a huge smile. My Mother gave me a look which reminded me to curtsey and I did just that. "Good Morning," I greeted politely.

"Good morning, " everyone said in sync. It was actually scary how they did that.

"Arianna, I will hand over to your Mother to explain to you what is on today's agenda. Claire and Brenda you can attend Sydney to get her ready. I have to discuss something with the King momentarily - I will be back," The Queen started. I nodded and looked at my beloved Mommy.

I always loved my Mommy even though she's strict - she gave me the morals I have today. She's just more... open to things like betrothal like I'm not. Sydney left with two the ladies in waiting, the other two stayed.

"Hi Mom - I mean, greetings Mother, a fine day is it not?" I did a little mock curtsey that just made her roll her eyes at me.

"Oh Arianna," she said with a smile playing on her lips. "It is but you may change your mind after I tell you what's on."

"I'm not getting married am I?" I asked. I noticed Juliet was at the side of us. She stifled a chuckle.

My Mom gave me a weird look. "No you'd be glad to hear. Today is an engagement, no not a 'someone is getting married engagement', it's a ceremony. A new school will be opening near the countryside so access to school for children around there will be a lot easier. You and Sydney must make a speech. Is that clear?" I nodded.

"What part of this am I supposed to hate?" I asked curiously. "Does it have something to do with Christopher? If it does I would gladly eat my own arm instead."

"No it has nothing to do with the Prince. But the way to talk about him really makes me think that you two are getting close," she commented. I gave my Mom a flat look, I didn't appreciate my Mom's attempt to not be sarcastic when she said that. She chuckled. "On a serious note, you have to get ready." She gestured to the ladies in waiting. I furrowed my eyebrows and then realised.

Oh no!

"But why is it even necessary?" I whined.

"You must look your absolute best," Mom stated nonchalantly.

"Does that mean I usually look horrible?" I asked bluntly.

"No Arianna. Now, get to it. We have no time to waste," she ordered. "Oh and before I forget. There will be a lot of people at the ceremony but not a single one is to know the betrothal. It is private castle business and news will only go out after the Autumn ball, okay?" I nodded. I wasn't planning on telling anyone I was living in hell anyway. I slouched my shoulders and faced the two middle aged women.