Chapter 3

Charly snapped out of her thought, her remembering her mom's death. She looked at Luke who had his back turned to her, he was heating some food up in the microwave. Charly got up and headed back to the turtle tank. She just sat crossed leg by it watching the turtle. Far enough away that she couldn't fall in again, but close enough to sea the turtle. Ben went back to the break room. 

"Where's Charly?" asked Ben to Luke.

"What?" said Luke turning around to see that Charly wasn't there, "I don't know she was just here" 

Ben hurried out of the room "Charly?!" he headed over to the tanks. There she was sitting there and watching turtle. Uncle Jack was sitting next to her, he put his hand up to stop Ben and Luke. They both stopped and just listened to them talk.

"Pretty amazing creature isn't it?" asked Uncle Jack to Charly.

"Ya it's beautiful" said Charly, "My mom's favorite animal was a sea turtle"

"Oh that's right it was" 

"She always said that they were old souls, they know the sea better than any other creature"

"I believe that, they can live for hundreds of years"

"How old do you think this one is?"

"140 maybe" 

"Wow. Will it be okay?"

"Ya once its wounds heal we should be able to release it"

"How long will that be?"

"A few weeks probably"

"Well while its here. I'm going to look after it"

"That would be great" He patted her back, "Why don't you come help me make its food" he took her hand and helped her help.

Ben smiled, he thought Charly was going to go into the phase of not talking like she did when their mother died for over a month. 

"Looks like she'll be okay" said Luke 

"Ya" said Ben with a smile on his face. 

Just as Charly and Jack walked away Luke and Ben turned when they heard someone.

"Hello" they both heard. 

Ben knew immediately who it was and sighed in frustration. Just what he needed. It was who he thought it was, Brian.

"Hello brother" said Brian walking around the corner and over to them.

"Hey Brian, What are you doing here?"

"Wow not even happy to see your own brother" 

"Kind have a lot on my mind"

Luke left quickly knowing this wasn't going to end well.

"Well where's Charly?"

"She's with Jack" 

"And that is where?" 

Ben rolled his eyes. "Look its been a rough day..." but before he could finish Brian walked away from him, off to find Charly.

He found her in the kitchen with Uncle Jack.

"Hey rugrat" he said as he walked in.

"Hi Brian" she said but not with a lot of enthusiasm. 

"Brian. Good to see you" said Jack walking up to shake his hand, "How have you been?" 

"Good, great" said Brian distracted by the fact that Charly wasn't happy to see him. She is usually a little happier than that.  Then Ben came running in.

"Charly you aren't happy to see me either?" asked Brian.

"No. Hi Brian" she said going up to him and giving him a hug. 

Then Ben came running in. He sighed in frustration some more.

"Why is everyone so gloomy today? God its like someone died"

Ben shot him a serious glare of anger.

"Charly finish helping Uncle Jack, okay? While I talk to Brian" said Ben grabbing Brian by the arm and pulling him out of the room. 

"What the hell is a matter with you?" asked Brian annoyed as they got out of the kitchen and around the bend.

"Can we just talk in the office" said Ben motioning to Brian to go in.

"You still have mom's name on the door?" 

Ben ignored the question.

"I don't need this today, Brian"

"Need what? Your brother?"

"No everything that comes along with my brother"

"What the hell is that suppose to mean?"

"Dude every time you come to visit, things end badly"

"Who's fault that?"

"Look today Charly fell in the sea turtle tank and almost drowned"

"She still afraid of the water?"

Ben got an angry look on his face. "Yes and she still has panic attacks"

"Seriously its been like 4 years"

"She's a kid! And she watched other mother died. How hell do you not remember that day"

"Of course I remember it, but I've moved on, which is what mom would've wanted"

"Moved on that's for sure"

"What happened to you?"

"What happened to me? You're my older brother who ditched not even a year after mom died. You left me with our 7 year old sister. Who was so messed up from happened, still messed up."

Brian said nothing.

"Look I can't have this argument again. Why don't you just leave" 

"I came to help. Because I heard this place is going under"

"I don't need your help"

"Just sell it. Get it out of your hair"

"How can you say that? This was mom's life"

"And she isn't here anymore"

"God. I can't believe you!"

"Fine, if you want me to leave, I will." said Brian leaving. He left to find Charly by the turtle tank with Jack.

"Hey I have to go" he said giving her a side hug and kissing the top of her head, "I'll be back soon"

Charly just stared up at him. He was lying, but she didn't care. He left without saying a word to Jack or Ben.

Ben sat in his office totally exasperated and stressed out. Then a few minutes later Charly came in. She went up to him and he put her on his lap. She rested her head on his shoulder.

"Brian left"

"I know. I'm sorry"

"Its okay. You guys just fight when he's here anyways"

"Oh God. Charly I'm sorry. I'm sorry that always happens"

Charly shrugged. "He doesn't care like you do"

"What do you mean?" asked Ben looking down at her confused.

"He doesn't care about me, like you do"

"Oh Charly, yes he does. He just has a hard time showing it"

"He's never here. He left"

Ben didn't know how to respond. He held her close and kissed her forehead. The only thing that made Ben feel okay at this moment was the fact that Charly was talking.