Chapter 2: The Ball

Start from the beginning

Terrwyn sipped at her glass as she hovered near the edges of the terrace, listening to the people around her. Most of what they had to say was the usual court posturing and nonsense. She did hear two young men wondering where Aricia was, and what she was wearing. When a third joined them and mentioned the princess was dressed like the night, Terrwyn nearly choked.

Contemplating Aricia's murder might not be professional, but she felt it was appropriate given the circumstances. To avoid the young men, who were obviously scanning the crowds, Terrwyn took the stairs down to the gardens. She didn't trust the men's powers of observation and really didn't feel like fending off any attention meant for the princess. Not when she couldn't see anyone's faces.

With the musicians playing a lively piece, the grass below the terrace was full of dancers. Terrwyn settled to one side awkwardly, watching people swirl by. She glared when she caught sight of Aricia, who offered her a smile as she was whirled away by her partner. She'd remember this the next time the princess wanted Terrwyn to cover up one of her pranks.

"...dark magic in the city."

The words caught Terrwyn's attention, and she drifted towards the man's voice coming from the other side of one of the gardens, the shadows here deep. "Heard someone died in the middle of dinner at an inn, but no one saw who did it."

"Probably drunk," replied a second male voice.

Terrwyn barely kept her snort of agreement from emerging.

"No, they weren't. I heard there's some kind of monster living in the darkness, one that cuts your throat and drinks your blood, and no one can see it coming."

This time she did snort and wandered away, keeping to the edge of the area claimed by the dancers. Another stupid rumour that would probably grow every time it was repeated. The last one had been about some enormous wolf terrorizing the city, which had turned out to be a big stray with a penchant for getting into people's chicken coops.

She came to a stop in the corner farthest from the musicians, where the music could just be heard and she was outside the main glow of the lanterns. Terrwyn sighed, revelling in the cooler air and quiet, but not daring to go any farther into the gardens. Aricia would never let her hear the end of it if she did, that she was willing to disobey a direct order from the princess in the first place. She would if it were for Aricia's own good, but wouldn't tarnish her honour for something as stupid as not wanting to be at a ball.

"Are you hiding?"

Terrwyn jerked to stare at the man beside her. She could swear he hadn't been there a moment ago, but in the shadows it was hard to see. His dark hair flopped over the top of his half-mask of black almost the twin of her own. Dressed in the same shade only lessened in a few places by silver, the man practically blended in with the darkness.

"Pardon?"

He smiled, teeth bright in thin light of the lanterns. "Are you hiding?"

She shook her head, both hands wrapping around her now-empty glass. "No, just watching the dancers and enjoying the cool air."

"Ah, I can understand. Though I can't understand why a pretty lady has been left without a dance partner." He offered her his hand. "Would you join me for a dance?"

Terrwyn flushed a little and looked down at her hands. Most men in court avoided her, if they didn't treat her like the other knights. She should accept, Aricia expected it of her, but she didn't know him. Part of her couldn't help but wonder if he hadn't made some kind of mistake.

Movement entered her field of vision, and before she knew what he was doing, the stranger had plucked the glass from her loose fingers. With a smile and a wink, he carefully put it down on the stone edge of the garden. He took her hand in his and nodded towards where the other dancers were finishing up their current set.