Dream Meeting Part 8

Start from the beginning

"Avgan is my father, my real father," Andrew explained.

"So you've been here all this time?" Callista asked.

"Actually I was in some sort of healing capsule," he replied. "I did almost die after the...run in with those guys. My father and others took me from there and brought me here. I haven't been awake for that long. I was shocked when I found out where I was and about you and all. Around the same time I guess is when my uncle showed up."

"Your uncle?"

"Minax. He's my father's brother." He saw the disappointment on Callista's face as well as the concern. "Minax isn't going to hurt you."

Callista looked over at him and gave him a weak smile. "Minax wants to control Shalace. To do that he has to kill me. I have no choice but to stand against your uncle."

"Callista he does not want you harmed in any way!" Andrew insisted. "I don't know what they are telling you but I know for a fact he wants you alive!"

"If that is true than he means to control Shalace through me," Callista said gently. "Your uncle has caused many problems in Shalace. I think he may even be responsible for the end of the last ruler of Shalace."

"What does this mean for you and me?" Andrew asked not hiding his concern.

"I don't know," Callista told him with open honesty. "I can't view you as an enemy Andrew; you're not. I never wanted to be chosen by Shalace but it seems I have no choice. Whatever happens just know I do not view you as my enemy and I will always be grateful for our friendship."

"Have you gotten any better at Archery?" Andrew asked suddenly. Callista laughed and shook her head no. "Do they make you practice?"

"Actually for now we've decided it's safer if I never pick up a bow again." Andrew laughed at her response. "I am however skilled as a fencer. I leave the bow to a few others. Sometimes the problem isn't the fencer but the instructor. That was my problem in the beginning." Andrew nodded as he himself wondered if perhaps Gau shouldn't be the one to teach him. "I missed you but I'm glad you're okay."

"I miss..."

"Andrew! Three days!"

Andrew watched her disappear before his eyes as the forest faded away and was replaced by darkness. He didn't understand what was taking place but something felt wrong. Suddenly he woke up and for a moment hadn't even realized he'd sat up.

"Enjoy yourself?" Andrew looked over and was more than surprised to see Minax standing there along with Telem and Avgan. "Where were you taken?" Minax inquired. The king's voice was calm but Andrew knew he wanted an answer.

"The...Nightmare Forest. I think that's what she called it," Andrew said trying to remember.

"She? I assume you mean Callista?" His father inquired.

Andrew nodded and then turned his attention toward his uncle. "Why does she think you want to kill her?"

"Killing her would cause utter chaos," Telem told him. "You're uncle most certainly does not want her dead."

"I told her that but...I don't know that she believes me," Andrew replied. Looking at his father he said, "She thought I was a prisoner at first."

Minax listened and watched his brother's son. Andrew might not have been raised a warrior and was lacking in skill with a sword but he liked the boys honesty. He might be too honest at times but he was certainly not a liar. A trait the king liked in his men. Calmly he sat down at the end of Andrew's bed.

"I assume you corrected her?" Minax asked.

"She knows you're my uncle and that Avgan is my father," Andrew admitted. "I realize now that maybe I shouldn't have told Callista as much as I did but...I was so surprised to see her. She asked me why I was with all of you and I told her." Looking over at his father he added, "Callista knows you saved me."