Chapter 2: Escape

Dawnpaw padded into camp, wondering if she should stand up to Foxtail.

No, if I do that then he might push back my warrior ceremony. But if I don't, he'll always treat me like I'm some rogue.

As Dawnpaw dropped the mouse, Foxtail trotted over to her with a stern look.

"Dawnpaw, how many times do I have to tell you, if you keep talking to Thornpaw you'll never get anything done and you will be the cause of Fireclan's demise!"

Dawnpaw, enraged, fired back a response.

"Well, whenever you aren't hunting for scraps, you spend all your time trailing behind Featherstar, trying to help her in any way possible. What about Dappleheart, doesn't she matter to you anymore?!"

Foxtail stared at Dawnpaw angrily.

"I'll have you know..."

"NO! You never spend anytime with your mate, you're always hard on Thornpaw and me, and when you actually hunt, all you find are a couple of squirrels and mice!" screeched Dawnpaw, storming off towards Featherstar's den.

* * * * *

Featherstar looked up as Dawnpaw stormed through her den.

"Is everything alright?!"

Dawnpaw looked at Featherstar, anger flaring inside her.

"Foxtail is complaining that I never do anything useful and all I do is talk to Thornpaw! No one ever complains about him when he doesn't catch something, but when I don't, he gives me elder duties as punishment!"

Featherstar immediately leaped to her feet and glared at Dawnpaw.

"I WILL NOT HAVE YOU TALK ABOUT MY WARRIORS LIKE THIS, ESPECIALLY MY SON DAWNPAW!" she roared, hissing the her name.

Dawnpaw looked at the raging leader in dismay. She sided with her own son over an abused apprentice, how rude!

Dawnpaw, now furious, walked angrily out of the den and towards Thornpaw.

"Thornpaw!"

Thornpaw looked up from her nest.

"Yes?"

"When moonhigh comes, meet me at the Darkclan border."

Thornpaw nodded and went back to sleep. Dawnpaw laid down beside her and slept.

* * * * *

Dawnpaw sat, looking up at the night sky, listening to the crickets chirp and the wind blow. When Dawnpaw heard the leaves behind her rustle, she sighed..

"I'm glad that you came."

Thornpaw sat besides her, curling her tail and looking at Dawnpaw.

"Of course I came. I would try to help you get through anything."

Dawnpaw swirled her tail through the leaves and looked up at the night sky.

"Umm, have you noticed that no one, besides you and Snowpaw, really care that I am a fellow clanmate and should be treated like one?"

Thornpaw nodded," Yes, even Featherstar yelled at you, which is unusual. I really hope that Fireclan changes its attitude and soon."

Dawnpaw looked at her paws guiltily.

"I'm leaving Fireclan for a little Thornpaw. I am sick how everyone treats me however I act."

Thornpaw looked up in surprise. "You're leaving me alone with Cloudfur and Foxtail?!"

"Thornpaw, you know that I will always be your best friend, but I need to do this. Maybe when I leave, Fireclan will realize what a terrible mistake it was to act the way they did to me."

Thornpaw's eyes began to tear up.

"Please don't go, I won't have any friends if you do, and what about your promise to be the strongest warrior Fireclan has ever seen?"

Dawnpaw winced and looked up at the stream passing nearby.

"I will become even stronger out there and I will be back soon, don't worry."

Thornpaw nodded sadly as Dawnpaw began to walk to the border.

"Wait, I'll at least walk you to the border!"

Dawnpaw nodded and continued as the dappled she-cat joined her.

* * * * *

Thornpaw flicked her ear and looked at the uncharted forest.

"Are you sure you have to go?"

Dawnpaw flicked her dark brown tail," Yes, this is something I have to do."

Thornpaw nodded again and blinked away tears.

"Okay, but promise me this. Just come back safely without any wounds."

Dawnpaw nodded, waved her tail, and padded out of clan territory.

Thornpaw watched her friend walk away until she was hidden by the trees.

"Goodbye Dawnpaw, and may you find your way home when the time comes."