Camila would be absolutely disgusted with the way I had treated Madison and part of me was terrified how she’d react. I couldn’t risk the words getting out about our encounter. The others in the Populars were already doubting my leadership and I couldn’t allow more distrust to spread.

-

Camila’s POV

I checked the time again. It had passed fifteen minutes and Lauren hadn’t walked out of their wardrobe yet. I was waiting for her after her practice and I had tried to call her phone a dozen times now but she didn’t even answer her phone. Lauren had been so busy lately that our time had been limited, which made me even more angrier that she would cancel our date.

We had been going out for about two months but there was still this huge part of her that I didn’t know. She was a bundle of mystery and I hadn’t managed to reach into the deepest parts yet, I hadn’t fathomed the bottom of her soul yet, which bothered me more than it should have.

The clock passed another five minutes and I noticed Alexa and Lucy walking out of the wardrobe in the middle of a chat. Their bags wrapped around their shoulders as they were leaving from practice.

“Hey guys.” I greeted them friendly, receiving vivid smiles back. 

“Hi Camila, we haven’t seen Lauren.” Alexa denied with a gentle smile and I blushed that I had been so obvious in my ways that I didn’t even have to state the question to receive an answer. 

“She didn’t turn up to practice, I have no idea where she is.”

In the background I watched as Veronica appeared and I instinctively glared at her. By the way Lucy froze next to Alexa it was easy to tell that they hadn’t made up yet. Understandably enough, after being filled in by Lauren about Vero’s recent escapades I had another reason to dislike her.

“Sorry, but I think Lauren’s in detention. A few players talked about her and mentioned Madison Miller.” Vero mumbled cautiously. “Can’t be too good if it says them both.” Lucy added without sparing the other girl a glance.

“Why is that?” I wondered, intentionally ignoring the tension that influenced the atmosphere around us.

Alexa hesitated and I creased my brows, pondering. “You should talk to Lauren, there’s not really much we can tell you.” She said with an apologetic smile.

I nodded and sighed. In the background I could see Vero’s eyes lingering on Lucy for a moment and in all my sympathy I pitied her. She looked truly shattered where she so strangely remained silent. For once she wasn’t controlling the conversation while Alexa and Lucy spoke.

I could see Lucy’s foot trembling in impotency and Alexa hinted for her to move on, nudging her to get her to leave and the two of them disappeared, leaving me with Vero. Again I could see the longing look before she turned to me, eyes moistened.

Maybe there was a time when I was supposed to speak and maybe that time was now but I couldn’t. When I looked at Vero all the resentment resurfaced and I wasn’t ready to deal with all of that. But there was something extremely innocent and vulnerable about her that certainly brought out the best in me.

“She’s not going to stay mad forever.” I encouraged. “I see the way she looks at you, it’s the same way I look at Lauren and our fights never last longer than a week.”

Vero lifted her face, a small smile tracing her lips and I could see the clear tear running down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away, surely angered with herself for showing off some vulnerability.

“Thanks but that’s not true, I am nothing like Lauren. ” She sighed in a regretful tone, “I’m not that good of a person.” 

Speaking to Vero like this was weird and I had no idea what to tell her. Was she as good as Lauren? No. But the authentic side of her was really getting to me and I couldn’t decide whether it was a good thing or not.

Which made me ever more surprised when I pulled her in for a hug, “I don’t know what to do.” She sobbed and I patted her back, pushing her gently away from me.

“Talk to her.” I smiled. “Nothing can be resolved if silence is the only thing speaking.” 

“Alright.” Veronica accepted. “Don’t give up on Lauren. Regardless of her past she’s a good person, but you already knows that.” She said and gave me a final smile, walking away with her bag draped over her shoulder.

I was left baffled for a while. It had been such a rare encounter and my mind was left in full chaos. Quickly I walked to the usual detention room and correctly she was sitting in the back row, her head down in a book and I roamed the room with my eyes, seeing no signs of a teacher or superior.

I opened the door, taking firm steps towards her and the sound of my walking made Lauren look up tediously, her eyes widen as she met mine.

“You can’t even leave me a message?” I hissed and crossed my arms, waiting for her excuse but when it never came I opened my mouth again, the words spilling briskly. “Who is Madison Miller and what did you do to her?”

Lauren’s eyed widened and I stopped, my head heavy and I was so sick of all the secrets. Whenever I thought we were going fine Lauren’s past had to sneak upon us. “We were…it’s not what you think. It happened a long time ago and…and.” She paused but before she could go on I interfered.

“I don’t care!” I growled and felt more at edge than ever. Her hesitation to even answer the simplest of question was wearing on my already thin patience. “Either you tell me what happened or we are done.” I put forward the ultimatum without even thinking it through. The surprise on Lauren’s face matched mine as I hadn’t planned for it to come out.

Lauren wasn’t quick to defend us. Instead she looked around and I followed her gaze to all the people in the room who had taken interest in our loud argument. I looked back and met Lauren’s eyes, the alarmed expression in them causing me to burst in flames. Was she seriously worried about what everyone else thought right now?

“You are unbelievable.” I scowled and stormed out of the room. I didn’t hear any protests, which felt like a knife tearing through my shattered heart. Not even when she was losing me did she dare stand up for herself. Tears found there way to my eyes as I walked out of the school. 

I didn’t know where I was heading until I found myself on her doorstep, my eyes swollen from the pouring tears and my nose was dense, causing my breathing to sound even more horrific. I rang the doorbell, the door opening and the girl immediately pulled me into her embrace.

“It’s alright Mila.” Ally whispered into my ear, my arms folding around her tightly and I was astonished that the heart in my chest still beat. Incredible how a heart teared into pieces still functioned.

-