Chapter 15

Camila’s POV

Reflexively I jumped to my feet for the third time when Lauren’s body again collided with the ground. My hand moving to my forehead in relief as she rose to her feet again, seemingly unharmed. When Lauren had invited me to her game I was prepared for it to be some long hours.

Sports in general had never been my thing. Usually because I didn’t take an interest in the rules and therefor I knew nothing about the meaning of the game, but one thing was clear to even me; Lauren was getting her ass kicked. Like literally. Her body had been more on the ground than standing up and each time it collided with the hard ground I was terrified if she was getting up again.

It looked like all the players on the opponents team had agreed to get her down. The other players were sliding into her constantly, bringing her with them down and although I knew soccer was sort of a physical sport this surely couldn’t be allowed.

I could see the pained look in her eyes as she rose up again, but each time she shook it off, looking at the referee before giving a reassuring nod. It was easy to discover the true agony though. In her every movement I could spot the pain from the bruises. 

The whistle whined another time and I looked up, fearing the worst as it was correctly Lauren on the ground, clothing at her ankle. I gasped, helplessly watching as she was surrounded by teammates. It was hard to get a look of the situation, but one thing I noticed was the same blonde girl.

She had been involved in nearly every attack on Lauren and each time she seemed to smile more viciously. I hadn’t seen her before, which was natural since she played for the Flyers and surely didn’t go to our school, but I had seen her encounter with Lauren before the game. 

The reunion of the two girls looked anything but happy as I had noticed Lauren’s annoying. I couldn’t help but ponder on their history. Was it possible that Lauren and the girl had been more than friends at some point? 

The girl was honestly breathtaking. Nothing like Lauren, but still with a body like a model and very appealing to the eye. With long blonde hair that was pulled up in a tight ponytail and blue, light eyes she was strikingly beautiful, which intimidated me even more. She was an exact copy of the girl I had imagined Lauren being with.

When I looked back in direction of Lauren she was already on her feet. Obviously arguing with her coach about playing more before the whistle sounded and the match continued on. What amazed me the most was why Lauren didn’t proceed to do anything back. 

The blonde was basically doing whatever she wanted on that field and Lauren was letting her. I looked away again, avoiding seeing Lauren getting more hurt as it was about the sixth time they had gotten a free-kick without further punishments.

I groaned in frustration, looking down on my phone as I didn’t want to watch anymore. Even with the little knowledge I had I knew this was wrong. The game that went on looked more like wrestling than actual soccer.

I was still avoiding looking at the field, but a loud shriek made me lift my head, expecting to see Lauren or some other Miami High player but instead I saw the blonde lying on the ground, Lauren on top of her.

It was difficult to see if Lauren was punching or what, but Sienna definitely didn’t appreciate it as she was flailing her legs and arms while the other players were now rushing to the scene. Veronica and Lucy were the first one to approach and they immediately started to pull an enraged Lauren off her.

The task seemed to be easier said than done as when Sienna got up she extended her hand out, having it collide forcefully with Lauren’s cheek. Instantly I ran down the tribune towards the fence, feeling the adrenaline pump through my veins. What the hell was going on?