Chapter 10

Camila’s POV

I left Dinah’s care with an unusual excitement filling me at being at the school. Scratch that, I was more thrilled to see who was at the school.

The feeling I felt in my gut was a bit too nerve-wracking as I walked through the parking lot. I hadn’t seen Lauren since our date and even though we had kept up the conversation through texts I didn’t know exactly where she stood. 

The whole sensation could be described as millions of butterflies flying around, or big huge bats, more like eagles taking form. Focus Camila! I scolded myself internally. 

As I entered through the doors literally all the heads turned to me in anticipation. Some of them even kept their gaze locked on me, eyeing shamelessly from their lockers. All through High School I had been more or less invincible, so the sudden attention made me slightly insecure.

Luckily I had Dinah by my side, who must have noticed my nerves as she linked her arm with mine, guiding me through the intense glances.

When we arrived at our lockers I unlinked my arm with Dinah’s. I could still feel all the eyes glued to my back as I turned to my side. “There’s not a ‘please stare at me’ sign engraved into my forehead by any chance?” I muttered annoyed to Dinah who instantly pulling a weird face. 

She gave me a knowing look, closing the locker door and looked at me. “They have probably heard the news about you and the Head of Bitches.Everyone’s literally been talking about it since you started talking.”

My smile retracted at the thought of everyone discussing my life. Surely I didn’t have anything receiving attention from people I cared about, but the thought of the majority of school judging me was terrifying.

One of the main reasons that I hadn’t been the Populars number one target was because usually I stayed out of any type of gossip. I made sure that nobody noticed me and I definitely avoided being in the spotlight.

The distress made it incredible difficult to concentrate in my classes, math not being an exception as I wasn’t able to keep up with Mr.Reyes’ teaching about equations.

Instead I was supporting my head with my elbow and my mind traveling between Lauren and my phone. She sat in the middle row, obviously texting with Veronica as both of their heads were bowed down and the alternated between smiling. 

I had encountered her once in the hallway, but time had been short and all we’d managed to do was chatting casually before she kissed me on the cheek. Our game had really gone too far as I really had wanted for her to kiss me on the lips. Though, I still had no desire to give her the satisfaction of winning.

“Miss Cabello, can you repeat what I said?” Mr. Reyes woke me up and I realized he was intentionally punishing me for my lack of concentration.

“Uhm…no.” I admitted with a sigh, there was no way I could even try because I hadn’t been listening at all.

“Well, maybe you should focus a little more on what’s going on up here and not what’s for lunch.” He scolded me and I blushed, my cheeks being on fire as I could easily sense the looks from all my fellow classmates.

Even Ally turned around and gave me a weak smile, which made the whole public lecture worth it. After what felt like a lifetime she actually spared me a glance. I knew Ally well enough to know that the gesture, no matter how small was a sign that she was starting to forgive me.

Lauren had indeed said that Ally was fine with us being something more than just friends, but why on earth would Ally choose to speak to Lauren before me? I was the one supposedly being her bestfriend, not Lauren.