Australia; Chapter 3

I knew it! I couldnt have been more sure about it while sitting on the beach, but now it was so real. I hadnt seen that necklace in over a year.

Brians beaded necklace he had been wearing on the beach was the same one my father had had. Dad, everytime I thought this deeply about him my eyes filled with tears. Not exactly sad tears, more joyful that he was in a good place now, not constantly worrying and wallowing in the chances that the economy may crash or the planet may be invaded by aliens. He may have been portrayed before as a gigantic pansy, owning a dance studio and opening a design label with Mom, but he was also sort of a nerd. He believed in those piece of crap ghost/mystery shows to the full extent, and he was always outside after supper to watch stars and chart abnormalities in weather conditions. You may say global warming, but he would just say an intergalactic laser beam trying to melt us into mush.

I swiped away at the warm tears as they fell across the keyboard. Composing myself, I sat up briskly and threw on a baggy tee and shorts for PJs, since my pajama box hadnt been unpacked yet. Hell, we only moved in a week ago. My eyes again wandered to the screen though, I just couldnt help it. Dad had lost the necklace in the crash. It was a thin necklace made of shark teeth carved into beads, and Dad had had it for twenty years. His father had given it to him on his death bed, and my father had wanted to give it to Sean one day too. Had wanted. Past tense.

The tears fell again, and I felt a pang of emptiness in my stomach. Dad had had his engraved with the Bellasong logo when he married Mom, so it was sort of a family heirloom now. Not something of physical value, something of spiritual value. It was an honor to recieve the necklace, at least thats what it seemed like to me.

Quickly I shut the laptop screen and rolled myself into fetile position under my covers, hoping the pain would end again.

~~~~~~~~

Ew, Monday mornings sucked. I ended up going to school today in my Camp Quaker sweatshirt and ripped skinny jeans with light brown moccasins. My hair fell in natural waves and I had applied only a small bit of coverage and mascara. Now it was lunch time, and I stood in the front of the cafe, looking around for Brian. I had decided to let go of the necklace ordeal, it would only cause me suffering in the end. I saw him enter from the door opposite me, and he looked around eagerly beforing spotting me and waving. I smiled, weaving through the noisy crowd.

Today he wore dark washed jeans, shiny black sneakers, and a Bellsong sweatshirt that went perfect with his blonde bangs. He gave me a flirty smile before grabbing my hand and leading me to a small round table in the back corner with only one person sitting at it.

"Brianna, this is Eve. Eve this is Brianna, the one I was talking about!" Brian laughed, still holding my hand. The girl looked up lazily but when her eyes met my friendly smile she perked up.

"Wow, Brian, Im proud! This one really isnt a whore!" she exclaimed, propping her chin up on her palm, making a little twirling gesture with her hand. I gave her an amused spin, and she just laughed. "Approved!"

Brian huffed as he sat down, grabbing my hip and scooting me closer to him. "I told you she wasnt! And anyways, I dont need your approval on anything!" Awkward much? They continued bickering while my eyes lazed around, falling on Austin across the room. I didnt know he had this lunch period...

"Im gonna go say hi to Austin! Want to come with?" I asked, making a move to get off the bench. Brians gaze shot up so fast I thought his eyeballs were going to jiggle as they fell into place. Good thing they didnt or else I would have thrown up. His goofy grin soon turned into a disgusted sneer, and I was certainly taken back. This kind, loving, fun boy wasnt friends with Austin Sawyer? Not surprising actually, they were so alike that it was certainly possible that they wouldnt get along. "Why not?" I whined. He frowned, shaking his head. Two responses but no audible reply? Something was definitely wrong here! "I get you may not like him, but at least walk up there with me, ok?"

Brian sighed defeatedly and I just smiled and stood, waltzing over to the most crowded table in the room. As you could guess, all of the sluttiest girls hung around Austin and his friends, so close that the whole center of the room smelled like axe and flowery perfumes. Like a hurricane of scent-destroying odor. I dont think Id be able to wear Britney Spears' perfume for a while.

"Hey Austin!" I smiled, and the table grew spookily silent at my presence. Austin squinted at me for a moment, and then broke out into a grin.

"Brianna Bellsong, right?" I just nodded.

"Shes cool guys!" he called and the whole table resumed conversation at maximum volume. There goes my ears; by the time I escape this table I will have lost all five of my senses for sure. "What up, Bri?" he laughed, and suddenly I felt a warm breath down my neck as Brian whispered from behind me, "He gets to call you Bri and not me?" I just grinned.

Stepping aside I revealed Brian to Austin, who just seemed to raise an eyebrow and cross his arms defensively. Brian seemed to mimic Austin almost immediately, which made Austins face go red and cause me to step into the middle. "Guys, guys, lets not fight!" I cried sarcastically, grabbing each of their shoulders and pushing them farther away from eachother for precaution. I vaguely recalled a time I watched a wrestling match and the referee had to settle a non-physical dispute like the wrestlers were in the first grade. So let me just tell you one thing, I do not look good in black and white stripes.

And I dont intend on ever wearing them, so I let them go, and they lunged at eachother like astray magnets.

--------

Hope you likey! Tell me something you like about it guys! What do you think is up with that necklace? Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

Oh boyoh boy, as I wrote this I came up with a brilliant plot. Get ready!

Comment & Fan, pretty please!