Episode 2(Day One)

"Run, Josh! Run! They're coming! Jesus Christ, faster!" Rosie shouted out to her brother who was lagging behind her as they raced down the road.

"Rosie, I can't do this anymore," Josh panted. He stopped dead in his tracks and bent over with his hands on his knees. He struggled to catch his breath. His lungs were burning from having to run so fast and so far. Sweat steadily dripped out of his pores and his legs shook with exhaustion.

"Josh don't be a slacker. They'll catch up with us, if you keep stopping every other minute. We still have to find Mom and Dad," said Rosie, without even a hint of tiredness in her voice.

"Well, screw me for not being as athletic as you are," he breathed. "How do you even know they're still alive?" Josh asked. The fear of not knowing the fate of his parents still lingered.

"We just have to- Josh, they're here! Biters, run!" Rosie tried to warn Josh who was oblivious of the horrifying things charging towards him.

However, it was too late. One of the creatures' outstretched hands clinched Josh's shirt and he howled in terror as he tried to shake it off. He felt a cold chill running down the back of his neck, as the creature gripped him.

Confusing emotions hit him like a tidal wave, as he tried to find a way to escape. It was difficult as the creature was way stronger than he was and all he could do was scream for help at the top of his lungs.

"Rosie! Rosie! Help! Do something! Get it off me!" he screamed. Rosie's hands shook, as she lifted the rifle she had taken from the body of their new friend some time back.

She had no idea how to use a gun, but had insisted on taking it with them, just in case. Josh had complained about it holding them back. Ironic, since it was now the one thing that stood between him and death.

"Josh, stay still! I can't aim and I don't wanna shoot you," she said with fear in her voice. The vein in her head was beating like a drum. One mistake and she'd kill her brother faster than the biter would.

"Rosie, for Christ's sake. Shoot or it's gonna bite me!" Josh screamed, as he struggled to hold the head of the biter away from his face. Rosie aimed at the creature's head, whispered a small prayer, closed her eyes and pulled the trigger.

The sound of the bullet's bark echoed across the street. She opened her eyes. The body of the biter lay lifeless on the asphalt. Her brother stood in complete shock.

"Come on, Rosie! We gotta run. The sound of the gun will bring more biters! We gotta move!" He gripped the hand of a shocked Rosie and pulled her along with him into the nearby bushes.
.
.
2 Days earlier.
*
*
The Hamiltons had just moved uptown into Oregon from California a few years back. They chose a quiet suburb away from the busy roads, honking cars, pollution, and general meanness of the city folk of "Portlandia."

It seemed that the city had found them that day.

The perfect family consisted of: Clark Hamilton, who was a lawyer; his wife, Kendra, who worked as a human rights activist, and their twins, Josh and Rosie.

Life seemed pretty normal for the Hamiltons, until one stormy night, when they heard screams from the neighbor's house, owned by Matt Dawson, and his lovely wife, Lucy Dawson. They had been nothing but nice to them since they moved into the neighborhood.

"Call 911, Kendra," Clark called over his shoulder. He turned to look at his son, who probably thought he was being stupid. Going out into the middle of a storm this late at night, was generally a terrible idea, especially given the screaming they had heard moments earlier coming from the house next door.

"Josh, stay here with your mom. No one leaves the house." His family tried to stop him, but he refused to listen. As a lawyer, he'd spent enough of his life turning a blind eye to other peoples' problems, all because they couldn't afford his services. That changed today.